Chapter 24: Mother's Embrace

After loading all the clothes and the fitting for the Saintess wear, I was finally able to take a break while waiting for dinner time to come. I reached out to surf on my computer again to see if I was able to make out of those shapes and the information behind the nature spirits as well as the North beliefs of magic. While taking important notes, I was into my research that I didn't hear too clearly on the knockings on my door.

"Anna, sweetheart. Are you there?" A gentle voice broke my focus as I looked up from my readings and turned around.

"I'm here, mom." I replied.

My mom stepped inside my room and walked towards me as she looked to the computer screen. Humming as she read the pages on the screen. "So you were curious about the shapes on your body, huh?"

I nodded as I turned to her. "It's so fascinating. I didn't know these marks represents the nature spirits themselves. The sources on the internet says that they are one of the oldest magical symbols from ancient times and even derives from the first magic users themselves." I exclaimed excitedly as my mother watched my expression with a warm smile.

She placed her palm on my arm and trace the faint lines on my skin, "They are beautiful. I'm happy you are happy with the marks, I was worried if it made you upset previously." She softly pat on my arm warmly.

The gentle gesture brought me into a big smile, one that resonated from my heart. Anna's mother is very beautiful. She is quite a fine beauty, one that you can express her soft and gentle features to the pretty winter snow. Her silver hair and bright eyes, features that Anna inherited from her as well. But most of all, Anna realized that she has the most graceful and warmest heart, able to love Anna and accepts all the goods and the flaws. Despite her gentleness, she also reminds Anna of my previous mother - both women has the courage of strong women.

A bitter tang appeared at the back of my throat as the image of my previous mother overlapped with the woman in front of me. I blinked the uneasiness away and hoped that my eyes don't water so easily by the passing thought.

"It's okay...it's not that bad. In some light, these marks look really pretty." I replied, holding the smile for my mother.

The edge of her lips tugged further and I slowly melt to her expression. Anna's mother is really beautiful.

She brushes my hair from the top of my head as she leaned down to place a kiss. "My sweet child." Wrapping arms around me for a brief moment. I snuggled into her embrace, my nose sniffed the sweet scent of flowers and light firewood from my mother. It's a comforting smell that it almost made me drowsy for a moment. She pulled back from her embrace and placed another kiss on my forehead.

It brought me to think again to why she feels so affectionate. She had always been open to her affections to Anna but this time, it feels like there was a heavy weight linger behind her hugs and kisses. "Mom, are you okay?" I asked.

Her eyes widened a little before her smile went back again, brushing the edges of my hair. "Everything is okay, sweetheart."

I frowned and leaned into her, wrapping my arms around her stomach and looked up to her with my rounded eyes. I feel like being spoiled by my mother again despite the fact I'm already teen. "Mother, if there's anything you're hiding from me then I will be upset." I urged on.

"Oh Anna..." she sighs, brushing my hair again. Then she took my arms off of her and pulled my by the hand as she guide me to the edge of the bed where we sat facing each other. Her face shows a hint of hesitance and troubled look. It worried me a little.

"Mother, is something wrong?" I asked softly.

She breathes before staring her eyes right into mine. "There is something I need to tell you about the Saintess." She starts.