Chapter 20: Her Duty

I pulled away quickly, jumping slightly at the sound of the loud knock from the door. I turned my head away, feeling the heat burning my face in a matter of seconds realizing how close we were few seconds ago from each other. Although Fred didn't look away for a brief moment, he then looked at the door and answered.

"Enter."

The door opened with a creaking sound and a butler walked inside with a trolley of food and what it seemed to be like potion bottles on it as well. "I brought the food and the potions as requested, your grace."

"Set them here." Fred ordered as the butler followed and pushed the trolley cart near them, began pouring the drink and preparing the food for them before he gave a bow and left the room again.

The smell of the delicious food lingered in the air and I didn't notice how hungry I was. My stomach gave little rumble as I inspect the royal dishes the butler sent before me.

Fred must have noticed my hunger as he chuckled and motioned me to to the food. "Eat. You'll feel better afterwards."

The heat on my cheeks and my ears lingered warmly now that I crosses my eyes with his so I tried to avoid meeting with his eyes and made myself comfortable before eating the dinner presented. I turned to the prince as he took one of the tea cups and drank as he stared at me.

Feeling a little uncomfortable only eating alone, I asked. "Aren't you going to eat too?"

"I ate earlier, don't worry about me. Besides seeing your expression while eating is something I'm accustomed to." He chuckled.

My eyebrows furrowed. What does he meant by that? "Did I do something rude previously, Fred?" Feeling the slight weird sensation of embarrassment rose inside me. Perhaps I did something considered ill-mannered before him but I can't remember which since I act so carelessly in front of him many times.

Though Fred merely smiled. "Of course not. I just enjoy watching you eat. I don't know if you noticed yourself but whenever you eat, you have various expressions shown on your face as if you're enjoying the meal you ate."

I almost choked on air. I was just that open to people when I eat something, huh. I should be careful on my gluttonous cravings with food in the future. Being watched by friends other than family is slightly embarrassing.

"I see...then - thank you for the food." Stating my gratitude before picking up the meal placed in front of me.

I was feeling rather hungry so I kept up the void in my stomach to regain my strength after the long hours I had today. And once in a while during my mealtime, I caught Fred glancing at me with an amused expression as he drinks his tea as if he was having fun watching me eat the food in front of him. I couldn't help but feel weirded out, it feels like he was watching an eating-show in such a relaxed manner and I felt slight pressure since there were only two of us in the room.

After finishing my meals, Fred insisted to make me drink the potions already prepared and honestly I didn't want to drink it because I knew how bitter and awful it would taste. Like swallowing a cup of olive oils, I drank the potion bottles to replenish my energy back again and Fred patted my head as if he was proud of me for drinking it.

I huffed at his playful manner. It still feels a little odd he does this whenever he feels comfortable enough around me which isn't bad but it's still something I'm not used to seeing it.

"Are you feeling much better?" He asked.

I nodded, my stomach a little bloated from the food and potions I took moments ago. "Yes, thank you for your generosity."