Culinary Class

Papyrus stared lazily out the window, scanning the powdered white surroundings. His eyes drifted from tree to tree, branch to branch, captivated by the frozen substance. He wasn’t like most of the other college students he knew. He loved culinary class, for he loved to cook; but not quite to the intensity of his classmates. They made dishes of superior class, ones that could sway any passersby with a single whiff…
but his food was average.

He could try, and he would try. He made all sorts of things he had never even heard of before coming to the surface, things like teriyaki chicken, molten lava cakes, paella, and macarons.

But he tried anyway, and he liked most of the food!

His brother Sans and best friend Undyne were constantly praising his work with geunitity, encouraging him to pursue the profession because he’s “top-notch”.

Papyrus believed in himself, he really did. He just couldn’t feel the same inspiration as the rest of his class.

“Tonight, you are all assigned to find somebody new to try your cooking.” This caught the skeleton’s wandering attention.

He perked up as the professor continued, “I want you to find someone who you’ve just barely met, somebody whose unbiased toward you.”

Papyrus noticed the groaning and murmurs of his fellow chefs-in-training but ignored them. His hand shot up toward the ceiling with his trademark dignified curiosity.

“Yes, Papyrus?” The professor pointed at him.

“THAT’S ME!” He giggled, “YES, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU MEAN SOMEBODY HERE ON CAMPUS.”

“...Just somebody who doesn’t know you, Papyrus, would be terrific.”

“SO SOMEBODY NEW. ON CAMPUS. WHO WE HAVEN’T MET BEFORE.”

“That’s essentially... what I said.”

“SOMEBODY NEW, ON THIS VERY CAMPUS, WHO WE HAVE NEVER, EVER MET B--”

“Is there an echo in here!?” The professor wailed, “Yes, Papyrus, that is correct.”

“SORRY, NYEHEH!! I JUST REALLY LIKE MEETING NEW PEOPLE!!” He gushed, placing his hands on his cheekbones.

“... Riiiiiiight,” The professor sighed, “All of you are excused.”

Right on cue, the bustle of everyone leaving their desks pursued, Papyrus bounding out of his chair and into the clamoring hallway. Students poured from every open door, pushing his enthusiasm to its farthest point.

“EXCUSE ME, MY GOOD SIRS!!!” The skeleton bellowed to a group of boys hovering in the center of the chaos, “WOULD ANY OF YOU BE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE HONOR OF FIRST-HANDEDLY WITNESSING MY EXQUISITE, MIND-BOGGLING COOKING ABILITIES??”

They all stared up at him in a mix of utter confusion and plain horror.

He smiled with pride, “I CAN SEE YOU ARE ALL DROOLING AT THE MERE THOUGHT OF IT!”

Swiftly they dispersed among the waves of others, muttering insults Papyrus was too naïve to understand. He didn’t care, anyways; he didn’t want people who didn’t like him to be forced to near him.

He kept trying until a specific person entered the now-empty hallway, seemingly scatter-brained with them self. You had looks that weren’t necessarily conventionally beautiful, but Papyrus was stunned at the way you smiled awkwardly at him as you passed by.

“H-Hello--” He whimpered out, trailing off as you scampered to your next class.

He was determined to see you again. You would be the lucky, blessed one to try his next most flavorful dish. “WAIT!!!”