Ch. 9

I left right after Parker got me a pad. We exchanged a quick peck and then I walked sluggishly home. 

Mom greeted me in the doorway. She put a finger to her lips, and I nodded as she stepped onto the porch and closed the door gently behind her.

"How was the movie?", She asked, ruffling my hair as we take a seat on the steps. 

"Oh, we ended up skipping it," I replied, quickly.

"Oh," mom said, "What'd you two do instead?"

'Oh, not much. I gave him a blowjob, and now I'm sort of not a virgin ', I think in my head.

Instead, I say, "You know, just hung out".

Mom looked at me then and smiles. 

"What?", I say, absentminded.

"I'm proud of you".

'For having sex before marriage?', I say in my head.

"Thanks...", I say, trying to smile back.

"Is everything alright, Riley?", mom asks, frowning.

"Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't it be?". The words just fly out of my mouth, vaguely.

"You seem strange", She shakes her head, slowly and oddly. "Are you sure nothings wrong?".

"I'm positive", I say, and then grimace.

'Pregnancy tests...positive...sex...pregnant...baby'. The words fumble around in my brain, making me uneasy. I try hard not to cry.

"You know what, mom? I think I'm just tired", I say, "I'm gonna head to bed".

"Ok", She says, feeling my forehead, "Do you feel okay?".

'Morning sickness...pregnant..'. My stomach flips at the thought. 

"Yeah, I don't feel very good, mom", I frown. 

She embraces me, gently, and then whispers, "Go on inside but try not to wake anyone. Daddy has work early and your siblings need their sleep".

I stand up, shakily, and try to gain my balance. Anxiety is taking over my body. My non-virgin body.

Before I close the door I see a single tear run down my mom's cheek.

I frown, not having much time to wonder, and then close the door behind me. Wishing that it would just shut everything out that I was afraid of.