Ch. 21

"I should've comforted you," Parker said, "When you said you thought you were pregnant, I just didn't want to think about it. I didn't want it to be real. It is, huh? "

"It's real, Park," I say, "Everything seems like a fairytale to me right now. The kind my daddy used to read me before bedtime. It was so peaceful. "

I pause and glance at Parker, who's looking at me gently.

"I read me this story, almost every night," I say, my eyes sparkling, "It was beautiful, Park."

"Tell me the story, pretty," He says, leaning his head on my shoulder. I read my head on top of his head, and start quoting the story, gently.

"I had a baby, beautiful as can be. He was perfect, all he could be. His name wasn't Jesus, but it came close to being. My beautiful baby. Oh sweet as can be. My beautiful baby-sweet as can be ".

"Oh, Ri. It's beautiful", He says.

"It is", I say with a sigh, "I miss him so much".

"Then visit him", Park suggests, shrugging.

I shake my head slowly, "I dunno if I even want to".

"Why not?", He asks me quietly; like if his voice is too loud it might break something.

"He got remarried-a couple years after he left", I say, frowning.

"So, your mom's remarried", Park says, "No big deal, right?".

"His wedding was right before Mom's, and I mean Mom and Derek had Kenedy. Then Mckayla-but they're sweethearts", I say.

"Like me?", Park asks, innocently.

"Like you", I agree.

I sigh. "But then my dad got married to this total jock of a girl. Way younger than him. They had 2 kids, too. 8 and 4 I think. I've met them a few times. Not so bad, but I dunno.  He really hurt my mom, and my brother...and Lindsey and I. On the inside. He left a sting in our hearts".

Park wraps his arms around me. 

"Wow", He says, in a soft voice; his lips barely parting.

I frown a little and he holds me even closer. I cuddle up into his chest. His hoodie smells good. So good.

"Ri?".

"Yeah?", I say, in a weak voice.

"I think you should give him and his new family a second chance", I say, "Just a weekend at least. I think you'll get used to them".

"Ohh, I dunno, Park".

"Hey, I'll go, too. We can have sleepovers every night!", He says, suddenly.

"You'd do that for me?".

"Yeah, of course, I would", He smiles, and I kiss him, gently. 

When we break away, I say okay, and that's that.

We're going to My Dad's.