Ready to sing

Mateo P.O.V

I came inside my house just after saying goodbye to Liam and went into the kitchen. I was pouring myself a glass of water when my brother barged in and started to scream.

"Bro! You're here, I have a biiiiiiig favor to ask you !"

Of course, it made me jump and I spilled water everywhere on the floor.

"God Thomas, stop screaming !" I replied with irritation.

I cleaned my mess, waiting for him to explain the situation.

"So, our usual singer had to withdraw from our concert next week due to family problems and we didn't find someone else" he finally explained.

"Ok, and what can I do ?"

I knew where this was going and I hated it.

"I wondered if.... if.... if you could be our singer for this time" he quickly asked, probably scared of my reaction.

"No." Was all I answered.

I finished to clean and started to walk toward the stairs, but my brother stepped in the way.

"Please !! I've always been a good brother ! And we already are working on 'Pray' by Bebe Rexha. I know you love that song"

I burst out laughing. Thinking of his rocker friends listening to Bebe Rexha was incredible. But he was right, I loved that song, which was my breakup song when things went wrong with Nathan.

"Cancel your participation, you know I don't sing in public," I said.

"But it's a great opportunity, we worked so hard for this, pleeeease"

Guilt rushed in my veins as I imagined my beloved brother, disappointed about me not wanting to help him.

"Shit Thomas! I hate you! I will not save your concert, I'm incapable of singing right under pressure !"

"Is that a yes ?"

"And your friends are already judging my musical tastes !"

"No! I swear they didn't hate the song. We are in the basement, come with us !" He enthusiastically ordered.

"Wait now ?" I panicked.

But I didn't have a choice. My brother grabbed my arm and forced me to go downstairs.

"Guys, he said yes !"

The pianist and the drummer faces suddenly expressed relief. Their rock group was composed of the three of them, and the singer. My brother was playing guitar.

"Well, don't complain if I fail during the concert" I warned them.

"Don't worry, you're the best! Let's go !" My brother exclaimed.

I immediately recognized the beginning of the music and braced myself to sing in front of other people than my brother.

I pray to God, that he makes me feel alright
Hope he gets me through this one more night
I pray to God, he's like one too many drinks
And my intuition starts to sink

I remembered how hard it was at that time when suddenly, all the school hated me because the person I loved lied. I was completely in the music and the outside faded around me. I was alone with my memories.

I swear to gooooooooooooooood

The song was already over. I turned around and saw my brother friend's with stunned expressions.

"God, you didn't lie, he's great !" Said one of them to my brother.

We kept repeating until dinner. I was too exhausted to even notice it was still awkward between me and my family. I went straight to bed just after.

Liam P.O.V

I watched him going inside his house just after what I considered as a date. Mateo was driving me crazy! I really liked him, but I knew he was too scared about dating again, and I didn't know what to do.
The fact that I was hot seemed to worsen the situation, which was a first. Never someone refused to date me because I was too hot. And at the same time, I wasn't brave enough to tell him I could be interested in guys. I thought hard about it on the way back home.
Once in my bedroom, I looked at my phone and saw a text. I quickly unlocked my phone, hoping it was Mateo, but it wasn't him. It was Clay, a clingy ex.

"I miss you" was what he sent.

He was just a regular hook up during my time in my previous high school and was the one my mother caught me fucking with. But he didn't take it well when I stopped everything with him to go to my new high school and kept sending me a text like this. Before I could even lock my phone again, he sent a new text.

"But I suppose you replaced me, don't you? Another skinny boy ?"

That was new. Normally, he would have just said things like 'Why did you break up with me' but this was a reproach. I was suddenly scared he would find a way to talk to Mateo. Maybe he saw us together today.
I decided to reply this time.

"Listen, we were not in a serious relationship, that was pretty clear, and my private life is none of your business, so leave me alone please"

He never texted back.

.......

Monday was finally over, and I noticed Mateo was tense all day. I met him at his locker instead of going to my car.

"Hey Mat'! I noticed you were nervous today, everything's alright ?" I tried to sound casual.

"Hey! Yeah yeah, don't worry !" He replied, also trying to act casual.

"Liar! What's happening ?" I replied playfully.

"It's really not a big deal"

"Come on talk to me, I feel like you're never telling me when something is bothering you! I care you know ?" I replied, sad he wouldn't talk to me about his problems.

"Need a ride ?" I offered just after, seeing how exhausted he was.

"That would be great !" He answered, with a hint of relief.

We went to my car and I drove him to his place.

"So? You still don't want to tell me ?" I asked softly, not wanting to pressure him.

"Long story short, I have to do something I never wanted to do in my life" he replied.

"Something about singing ?" I blurted.

I didn't think about what I said, it just came into my mind when I remembered how scared he was when I talked about him singing the other night.

"Good night, thanks for the ride" was all he answered.

So I was right, he was going to sing. I wouldn't miss it for the world.