Goodbye

Liam P.O.V

"Metastasis spread much faster than anticipated. He has a few days left at most" the doctor admitted as soon as he arrived.

My world fell again. Harder than the first time. Anger filled every cell of my body as I stayed still. I clenched my fists, tried to calm down, but just couldn't.

"I'm sor-" the doctor started.

"How can such a recommended hospital can make such a big mistake ?!" I exclaimed.

I immediately felt Mateo taking my hand. I stared at him and realized how concerned he was about me. I saw the worry, the compassion, and the love he had for me, and it was enough to calm my nerves.

"Could you take us to him ?" My little boy shyly asked.

"Of course, we transferred him in a more... adequate room" the doctor answered.

I wanted to kill him for trying to be gentle with words. My father was dying! But this time, I had Mateo.
We slowly followed him through the hospital, into a room equipped for intensive care.
My heart shattered into a thousand pieces when I saw my father, more tired than he had ever been.

"Hi" he weakly said.

Tears rolled down my cheek, and I couldn't do anything to stop it.
I almost ran to him, and gently hugged him.
I burst into tears soon after.

"Shhhh, Liam. This is not the end. I'm just going to start another journey" he softly whispered at my ear.

When I looked around again, I saw Mateo repressing his tears.
I hugged him, and let him snuggle into my arms, even if my mother was shooting daggers at him.
There wasn't any trace of sadness or emotion on her icy face.

"I would like a moment alone with my husband," she said.

We all got out. The door wasn't even close when Mateo spoke again.

"God Liam, I don't know what to do to cheer you up" he sadly admitted before hugging me again.

"You two, you are cute" my brother genuinely said.

"Who are you and what did you do to my brother ?!" I joked.

We all laughed.

"Seriously, how are you holding up ?" Mateo asked.

"I'll... be alright"

He punched my arm.

"Don't you dare putting a brave face with me !" He exclaimed.

My mother got out at that moment.

"I need to organize the funeral," she said before walking down the corridor.

"Are you-" I started, but Mateo stopped me.

"Ignore her. You have to be focus on you, what you feel, and how to express it before it eats you alive. Maybe it's her way to deal with things" he explained.

My brother went into the room, and we stayed alone in the hallway.

"Seriously, just you being here means the world to me. Thank you so much"

"It's normal" Mateo replied.

"It's not normal! You traveled the whole country to support the guy who cheated on you a few days before !"

"Well, technically, we weren't in a relationship. So it's not really cheating to me"

"Well thank you for being you, and being there for me" I replied, putting some of his hair behind his ear.

I was about to kiss him again, claim his mine when my brother got out.

"He would like to see Mateo. Alone" Philip said.

Surprise immediately flashed on Mateo's face. He flushed and got inside.

"So. I suppose you're serious about him" Philip pointed out.

"Yeah. I really like him. I want to be with him, and only him" I admitted.

"I can see why. This guy really cares about you. It's obvious he's not a gold digger. You're lucky you know ?"

I realized my brother was going through this alone. It made me feel uncomfortable.

"Listen, you know that I'm here now. You're not alone anymore" I firmly said.

"Yeah. But you found someone great. Being in the snobby world my whole life made me forget it was possible"

"You will find your special someone. But yeah, you have to be... less judgy" I said.

He laughed.

"Yeah, I know. Your boy was strong enough to tell it to me" he explained with a smile.

We kept talking for a few moments, and Mateo soon appeared in the hallway.

"Well, Liam, it's your turn"

Before I went inside, Mateo caught my hand, squeezed it gently, and smile at me.

"I love you so much" I sobbed to my father as I entered the room.

"I love you too. Listen. Life is too short to live in the past. Everything can change from a day to another. You have to enjoy what you have before it's gone. I made that mistake, don't do it. Enjoy your life, be happy, and you'll make me happy as well"

"But it's so hard" I admitted, my voice shaking.

"Think that everything could be gone tomorrow. Enjoy the present"

I took his hands into mine and stayed with him. Exhaustion took me and I fell asleep.

....

"WE NEED A DOCTOR !!!"

I woke up with a start and heard a continuous piercing sound. My eyes recovered from the light, and I saw Mateo, panicked.

"WE NEED A FUCKING DOCTOR" He yelled.

That's when I realized my father was dead. I felt my connection with him fading away.
All I could do was cry.

Surprise! It's not the final chapter! So sorry for the slow update, but I've been a bit busy. 
Love from otters!