Problems

Mateo P.O.V

I stayed the entire Saturday with Stella and Chelsea. I couldn't go back home too quickly. I wanted to be sure there wasn't anybody left at the party.
Stella immediately noticed I didn't sleep when I came into the kitchen in the morning.

"Oh god, you look like you're dead," Stella said with a look of sympathy.

"Maybe I am" I replied.

We ate all three of us. Her parents joined us for breakfast, and after, Chelsea left. I was alone with Stella in her bedroom.

"How are you holding up ?" She asked with concern.

"Barely" I blandly answered.

"It must be so hard for you," she said before hugging me again.

I spent the afternoon talking and crying. I finally came back to my house around seven in the afternoon. I hesitate a few moments before opening the door. A part of me secretly hoped Liam would be here, with an explanation. That everything was just a misunderstanding. But I entered a silent house. Some scars from the last party were still there like the drinks spilled on the floor, but I didn't pay much attention.
I wanted to avoid my sister at all costs. I went to my room and cried. It was so painful. I decided to be stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. But shit it was so hard.
My pillow was drenched in tears by the end of the weekend. All I did was waiting for a phone call that never came. Waiting for the boy of my dreams to fix things up. Waiting. And crying.
I barely slept and ate for the next days. I took a shower Monday morning because I didn't take one since the Friday before.
All I could do was walking on Monday morning. No breakfast, no joy, nothing.
As soon as I arrived, Jay took me in a bone-crushing hug.

"We are all with you Mat'. You know that"

It stunned me at first. This was the first hug from Jay in three years of high school.
It was weird to be treated like my parents were dead. But they knew how sensitive I was deep inside of me.
What stunned me more was that Liam wasn't there that day.
When I realized it, I spent half an hour crying in the toilet during lunch.
"So he really gave up on me. He probably just changed school again" I thought.
Realizing I would never see him again was like being pierced by a dagger in my already dying heart.
The entire school stared at me all day, some with angry looks, like saying 'It's your fault he left our school'.
I barely breathed all day, and when it was finally over, I ran out of school.
I was running when an unusual voice stopped me.

"Mateo! Wait !"

I turned around, I saw Liam's brother running toward me.

"Oh no! Not you !" I almost screamed before walking again.

"I know that you don't like me! I understand why by the way. But I have something important to tell you !"

Of course, my curiosity stopped me in my track, and I decided to listen to him.

"I didn't really understand what happened between you two this weekend. But Liam was devastated when he came back. He talked about a show where you kissed someone, being completely wasted and making the biggest mistake of his life"

"I know all of that" I harshly responded.

"What you don't know is that our father is hospitalized in New York for generalized cancer. He has a few weeks remaining at most. That's why Liam didn't come today. He's in New York"

Everything stopped around me for a few moments. Liam was living the worst moment of his life, and I was there, complaining about how hurt I was.
I knew Liam's father was everything to him. He couldn't lose me and his father at the same time. That was not possible.

"In NYU Langone Medical Center's main facility, in Manhattan, in Tisch Hospital" Liam's brother explained.

"Ok," I quickly answered.

I started to run again, but not for the same reasons. All the anger and disappointment I felt for Liam during the weekend vanished. I was now only worried about Liam's mental health.
I knew we felt the same thing when we dated. Even if we both made mistakes, I had to be there for him. I just couldn't imagine how hard it has been for him. How hard it was for him.
I couldn't let our misunderstanding, even a serious one like this, get in the way. He needed me more than ever.
As soon as I reached my house, I barged in, ran to my computer, and looked at the flights available for Manhattan. It cost me all the money I saved from work, but I didn't care.
I also read articles about Dane's hospitalization and found the room he was in.
"Room 504, what a coincidence,"  I told myself.
I immediately went to my brother's bedroom, knocked, and entered.

"Thomas, I need you to help me"

"Hey bro, hum what do you want me to do ?"

I stopped for a second and realized it was awkward. Regrets were written on his face.

"I need you to take me to the airport. Like right now" I confessed.

"To the airport ?! Where are you going? You can't do that, you're minor !"

"I faked a paper from dad and mom, and I booked a UM ticket. Don't worry, I just need you to drive me to the airport !"

"No. Dad and mum are going to kill me if they know"

My sister suddenly appeared from nowhere.

"I can take you to the airport" she shyly said.

"Yeah, going by foot isn't that bad of an option" I replied before going back to my room.

I prepared my stuff as fast as I could, went outside, and was ready to call Jay when my brother called for me.

"Mat! Fine, I'll drive you !" He said before going to his car.

He drove silently all the way to the airport.

"What are you going to do ?" He asked.

"Liam needs me" was all I answered before running again.

I just had time to register and go through the different security controls. Once on the plane, I realized it was the first time I was taking it alone, and that I was scared as fuck.
I nearly a panic attack twice, but finally landed on the ground.
Thanks to a GPS, and a taxi, I finally found the hospital.
I was ruined by the time I reached my destination.
I went through the paparazzi crowd and entered.

"Hi! I would like to see Dane Moore please" I asked in a hurry.

"That's not going to be possible. Only a few people can. You are ?"

"Mateo Wilson"

A few moments later, the man finally spoke again.

"You not on the list sorry"

I didn't even wait for him to finish his sentence, I was already running again, following the indications to room 504.