6

"Have you heard about the fires?" Virgil asked his sister over breakfast the following morning

"Have you heard about the fires?" Virgil asked his sister over breakfast the following morning. It was the last day of the year, New Years Eve, and even though it was still quite a few hours until all the celebrations would begin, there was a feel of something exciting in the air. Both teams were enjoying the sun as they sat or stood around the barbecue to eat. Some of them had already been swimming, as the day heated up fairly quickly.

"No?" Jordyn frowned, taking a bite of her pineapple. "What do you mean?"

"There's a massive bushfire just north of here, the freeway back to Perth is closed down. We might be getting an unwanted extension to our holiday."

"Oh, wow," said Kun, his eyes widening. "But we have to get home and start training again, the league starts again soon."

"I know," Virg nodded. "Even if we could get to Perth to fly out, the ash in the sky would mean we couldn't take off safely. It's nice to be stuck on holiday and all, but not when you know you're supposed to be somewhere else."

"Hopefully it's not too bad," Trent chimed in. "Do we know anything else about it?"

"I just heard there was a fire," Virg shrugged. "Sorry. Go ask the boss, maybe?"

It turned out that their trip would be delayed at least until the end of the week. The resort had only been booked until the following day, so beyond that they would need to find somewhere else to stay. Aya, Anabelle, and the rest of City's organisation team were working together with Liverpool's team to find a place where they could stay at such short notice. It was hard work, and somewhat stressful, but at last they managed to book out a camp down in Busselton, which was a few hours south of Mandurah. It would mean another bus trip, but since travelling north was out of the question due to the fires, heading south was their only option. Just as they were finishing up, Phil Foden and Joe Gomez poked their heads around the door, wondering how it was going.

"Did you find us a place?" Asked Joe.

"We did!" Grinned Aya. "And we booked it literally just now."

"Finally!" Phil sighed. "I feel like you've been holed up in here for hours. You coming to the pool now? I think Ox and Trent are making us all play some truth or lies game."

"Yeah, we're coming," Anabelle nodded, standing up and stretching her cramped limbs. "Wow, is it really twelve already? It's pretty much lunch time."

"We're not having lunch until one, apparently," explained Joe. "So come on, let's go!" He shook his head, causing water to fly everywhere, including onto the two girls.

"Are you wet? Have you been in the pool already?" Asked Anabelle.

"You have!" Exclaimed Aya, laughing. "You shouldn't be in here unless you're dry! Come on, get out, you idiot. You're making a puddle on the carpet."