13

It never took much to bring out the competitive side in a group of footballers, and mini-golf was no exception to the rule

It never took much to bring out the competitive side in a group of footballers, and mini-golf was no exception to the rule. Pretty soon, Ox, Andy and Joe were having a majorly important discussion regarding wether or not Andy's foot had touched the ball, causing it to stop.

"Mate you need glasses, that was a mile off," Andy said, his Scottish accent making Corinne smile. Whenever arguments got heated, his accent got thicker.

"Well that's just not physics then is it," Ox retorted. "The ball doesn't just stop on a slope like that for no reason."

"It's called running out of momentum," said Andy, in a 'duh' voice.

"Aw come on, just let him have it bro," said Joe. "He's gonna lose anyway."

"I am not! Hope is losing."

"As important as this intellectual discussion is," Hope ignored Andy's statement, which was true anyway, "Do you think we could continue the game now, or should we come back tomorrow?"

"Okay, lets keep going then," Ox sighed, and Andy smirked at him.

"You're whipped, mate."

Ox sighed, as if he couldn't believe he was dealing with this.

"My dear pot, have you met kettle?"

The rest of them hooted in laughter, and Andy rolled his eyes.

"I don't know why you're laughing," he said to his girlfriend. "This is your fault!"

"It's nothing of the kind," Corinne smirked at him. "I love you too."

In that moment, Virgil and Harriet arrived, having just arrived from Mandurah. After Harriet had been introduced to everyone, Aya, Hope and Corinne begged the two of them to referee the game.

"I wasn't aware mini golf required a ref, you know," said Harriet.

"This game does," said Hope, smiling at the new-comer.

"Alright, play then," said Virgil, nodding to Corinne, who was standing at the beginning of the 6th hole of the course.

It would be a stretch to say that anything resembling fairness entered the game with the introduction of the referee, but at least there was some form of law and order. And it was entertaining, which was always a bonus. Picking on Andy seemed to be the order of the day, and Virgil picked up right where Ox had left off, making him redo the 9th hole four times because he'd apparently breached the rules about how close you could stand to the ball. Ox and Joe were killing themselves laughing at poor Andy, whilst the girls were a little more subtle, but even Andy had a smile on his face.

"All I can say is, we now know there's something you can't do when you retire, and that is become a ref," he stated, glaring at Virgil.

"I don't know what you're talking about, I'm doing a fantastic job," Virgil grinned at him.