12

On the first day of January, the fires were still raging on, and although the fire fighters had portions of the blaze under control, the better part of it was still burning on, heedless to fire hoses, water bombing helicopters, and the efforts of ...

On the first day of January, the fires were still raging on, and although the fire fighters had portions of the blaze under control, the better part of it was still burning on, heedless to fire hoses, water bombing helicopters, and the efforts of people who had once lived in the area. Many homes had been lost, and there were ten or so people who were unaccounted for, last seen defending their property from the flames. The reality of it all was really starting to sink in. For most them, it was a threat they'd never been so confronted with before in their lives. They were accustomed to floods, cyclones, earthquakes, even volcanoes, but the fact that a bush fire could threaten and destroy homes and lives was a bit of an eye opener. Natalie and her brothers were planning to go in and help those fighting the fires, and maybe do a bit of coverage on it, and John was nervous for his girlfriend's safety. He expressed his concerns, as everyone prepared to leave Mandurah, but in different directions.

"Someone has to do it," she'd responded with a shrug, when he'd told her he was scared for her.

"I'm not saying you shouldn't do it... I really admire your bravery in going in there. I'm just saying be careful. Maybe it's selfish, but I only just found you, and I'd rather you stayed around for a while longer."

"I'll be careful," she promised. "When the fires are all out, maybe I'll see if I can come to England earlier."

"Really?" John's eyes lit up, and she smiled happily at him. She stood on her tip toes to kiss him, and he wrapped his arms around her, holding her closely.

"Yeah. I'm going to miss you so much, John."

"Call me everyday," he stated seriously, pulling away to look into her eyes. She nodded.
"I will. And you better answer!" She responded, with a cheeky smile.

Meanwhile, Jordyn had cornered her brother an hour or so before they had to leave, wanting details about Harriet from the night before. Virgil looked happy, and that was in itself good enough to satisfy Jordyn, but she did want to hear it from him.

"She's amazing, Jordyn, she really is," he said, and she chuckled at his dreamy smile.

"That's not an expression I thought I'd ever get to see on your face," she teased him. "You've gone all love struck."

"Well I'm not kidding! We get on like a house on fire."

"That's a terrible metaphor for today, considering half of Australia is going up in flames."

"True," Virg conceded. "That's wildly over exaggerating it, but I get what you mean. I want your opinion though - Harriet and her sisters are heading to Busselton today as well... if I asked Klopp I know he'd let me travel down with them instead, I just want to know what you think."

"And you say you're not the teachers pet," the Brazilian rolled her eyes at him. "Well how close are you, if she's already asking you that?"

"Oh," said Virg, a smile creeping onto his face. "I just realised I didn't tell you... I found my soulmate."