16

When they all arrived back at the bay, everyone seemed to be in a mild panic

"What's going on?" Asked Trent, tossing the car keys back to Ox, with a nod of thanks.

"The wind's blowing southwards. Mandurah's on high alert for the fires," said Raheem.

"High alert?" Asked Virg. "What does that mean?"

"It's pretty much standby, from what we can make out," said Ox. "They've got to be ready to get out at a moment's notice."

"What, all of Mandurah?" said Trent, with a frown.

"Not really, it's a fairly sizeable town," said Raheem. "Just the northern part. But like... that's literally where we just were."

"Are Natalie and her brothers okay?" Asked Virgil.

"John's just trying to get on to her now," said Ox, nodding to where the English defender was seated on a rock a few paces away, his phone pressed to his ear. "He hasn't had much luck though. But he did speak to her this morning apparently and everything was alright then."

"Okay, well let's hope for the best then," said Harmony. "This must be pretty hard on John, not knowing what's happening."

"Yeah, I think he's trying to stay calm," said Ox, "But I know I'd struggle to stay calm if it was Hope in there about to get burnt to a crisp."

At this point John returned to the group, looking a little dejected.

"No luck, I assume?" Asked Raheem.

John shook his head.

"Nope. I'll try again in a bit."

"Let us know if you do get through to her," said Raheem, patting his back. "She'll be okay bro, she's not gonna do anything stupid and go running into the flames or something."

"I know, I just... what if something's gone wrong? I'm scared for her. But hopefully she's just too busy to answer her phone right now."

"You know that's probably not far from the truth," said Virg, giving him a small smile. "If the fire's going crazy, she's probably doing all she can to stop it."

"Yeah, I agree with Virg," said Ox. "Don't panic, John. Call her again in a bit."

Meanwhile, completely needless to fires or anything of the kind, Aya and Joe had gone for a walk to find a spot known as Sugarloaf Rock. It was about an hour on foot from the bay, but they wanted to spend every opportunity they could together. They were curious to see the rock, and chatted about what they thought it would look like when they got there. Joe thought it would just resemble a loaf of bread, whilst Aya had an educated guess, and was fairly convinced that it would be similar to the Sugarloaf Mountain in Brazil, which was just behind the Christ redeemer statue, one of the seven wonders of the world.