-25

Hey y'all I'm back!

Over the course of a few days, Betty stood at the door to Toni's hospital room and peacefully watched Cheryl and Toni slowly get closer again, not wanting to intrude.

Each day Cheryl would ask Betty for a ride to the hospital at the same time after school, and each day Cheryl would bring one thing that reminded her of Toni to try and refresh her memory.

Toni was slowly getting there with Cheryl's help, she was slowly remembering more and more about herself and others.

"Hi.." Cheryl said quietly. Toni turned her head and smiled.

"You came!" She exclaimed quietly. Cheryl chuckled and hugged her tightly.

"Of course I came, and I brought you something else today" Cheryl said. Toni sat up and shuffled over so Cheryl could sit. Cheryl climbed onto the bed next to Toni and reached into her bag.

She pulled out a necklace, it had a shiny, bejeweled cherry on the end of it. Toni gave Cheryl this necklace for her birthday.

"This is a cherry necklace... this one reminds me of you because you gave it to me for my birthday-" Cheryl explained as Toni began to cut her off.

"And you swore it was the best present you had ever gotten.. I remember, I remember!" Toni said, getting excited that she had remembered something on her own.

Cheryl looked shocked at first and then started crying as she gave Toni a big hug, that set Toni off and now they were both crying.

Betty walked in the room once she saw them crying and asked what had happened.

"Toni remembered, she remembered Betty!" Cheryl exclaimed excitedly. Betty smiled lightly and hugged Toni.

"Good job Toni, you're getting better and in no time you'll be right out of here" Betty said.

Toni smiled and went back to looking at the necklace, she thought it was so pretty and mesmerising.

An hour went by and it was now 5pm, Betty had to get going or she wouldn't get her homework done in time for Monday's classes.

Cheryl had told Betty to go on without her and that she would be spending the night at the hospital with Toni since it was a Friday.

Betty said goodbye to Cheryl and Toni and set off home. Cheryl had gotten Toni settled into her bed and talked her to sleep.

Once Cheryl was sure she was asleep she moved over to one of the chairs in the room and tried to sleep on that but it didn't work.

She went and got a blanket from a nurse and walked back into Toni's room, she tried the chair again and eventually fell asleep to the sound of Toni's light snores.

At about 1am Toni started coughing loudly and breathing heavily, waking Cheryl up.

"Toni? Toni are you okay?" Cheryl asked as she fumbled around to find Toni in the dark.
Once she found her she sat down next to her on the bed and comforted her.

"Toni, it's okay I got you, are you okay?" Cheryl asked. Instead of an answer Toni started whimpering and taking short, sharp breaths.

Cheryl felt her head, it was warm, then she leaned in to hug Toni and felt her tears on her face. She pulled away and wiped them.

Cheryl stay rocking Toni until she fell asleep again, but this time instead of sleeping across the room from Toni, Cheryl moved the chair next to the bed and fell asleep holding Toni's hand.

The next morning Cheryl woke up to Toni's hand still tightly wrapped around hers. She smiled lightly and stood up out of her chair.

She let go of Toni's hand and kissed her forehead. Cheryl left the room to get breakfast for the both of them. She got them a coffee and a warm pretzel each.

When Cheryl returned to the room she set the breakfast down on a table beside the bed and sat on the edge of Toni's bed next to her.

She swiped a piece of Toni's hair behind her ear and caressed her face all while whispering softly to her.

"Toni, wake up" Cheryl whispered quietly. Toni groaned and rolled over, continuing to sleep. Cheryl chuckled and rolled her eyes.

"Fine, if you won't get up, I'll just have to get you up myself" Cheryl said before bringing her arms up and over Toni, she slowly brought them down and started tickling Toni relentlessly.

Toni's eyes shot open and she started giggling and squirming trying to get out of Cheryl's grip.

With all of Toni's squirming she ended up rolling back over to face Cheryl and in the end they were face to face, just inches apart.

Toni began leaning in and so did Cheryl, they were half an inch away from each other's lips when Betty came bursting through the door.

The girls pulled away quickly and Cheryl shot up off the bed. They both cleared their throats and looked at Betty.

"Oh sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt" Betty apologised. She covered her eyes and tried to find her way back out.

Cheryl stepped away from Toni and took Betty out into the hall to talk to her as she knew that Betty would want an explanation at some point, she thought it better now than later.

"Cheryl what was that?" Betty asked. Cheryl looked back towards the room and gulped.

"I don't know, I think I'm maybe starting to like Toni again" Cheryl said, unsure.

"What? Really!? Oh my god this is so cool" Betty said excitedly, jumping around.

"What? Calm down! It's not that big of a deal!" Cheryl whisper yelled to Betty.

"Not that big of a deal?!" Betty screeched as she stopped jumping around.

"It's a massive deal! You two are meant for each other! So you go march your heinie back into that room and get your girl!" Betty shouts.

"Okay, okay just be quiet!" Cheryl says through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, yeah" Betty says as she shoves Cheryl towards Toni's room. Once they reach it Betty pushes Cheryl inside and holds the door shut so Cheryl can't get out until she talks to Toni.

A/n: sorry I've been away for so long.. writers block had me in a chokehold 🤧 and yes Cheryl and Toni will make up in the next two chapters which might be the last two chapters of this book!!