Eyes Opened

Larry's POV

I sat staring at Laney's unconscious body. Doctors have said she may be in a small coma... Or passed out hard due to blood loss. One thing was for sure... She wasn't waking up anytime soon.

I held her hand, looking at her. She was still beautiful... Even if she was a bit pale... I brushed a strand of her red hair behind her ear, and sighed. "Please wake up.." I whispered, kissing her cheek.

She smiled, small and soft. I hoped that meant her waking was soon... I couldn't imagine life without her.

The door opened and closed. I looked back, seeing Corey there with his hands in his pockets. "Could... I sit here?" He asked, his voice shaking a bit. I nod, and he sits in the chair next to mine. If I'm honest... I'd say Corey is taking this harder than anyone.

We both sat there in silence, looking at our wounded friend... Possibly the most important thing in both our lives.

"I'm.. Sorry, Larry." Corey spoke, breaking the silence. I looked at him, a bit confused. "I didn't mean for all this to happen.. I know I am most responsible.. But Celest was.. Somewhat tricking me to hurt you..." He spoke softly, and weakly. "I just wanted Laney back."

"I've already forgiven you... You don't need to apologize." I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. His eyes go wide. "But... I could have killed you, (not intensionally)... How could you forgive me for that?!" He yelled softly, voice cracking.

"Cause your a good guy... You were manipulated by Celest... She's gone now..." I whispered the last part, Corey sighed. "I don't know why I dated someone like her... I felt like she had me under a spell or something..."

"Her singing.. It was hypnotizing. Each word.. Both enraged and controlled me. I guess I did her bidding..."
(Sound familiar to anyone? References?? 😜)

"Look; let's start over..." I smiled. Corey looked up, the dark, looming look in his eyes faded, as his smile returned. "Corey's back, baby!" Corey leapt up and hugged me. I almost couldn't breathe.

We both laughed as he blurted out "WOO!"

Laney shifted, and we froze in place, sudden silence. Her eyes fluttered open, and she gasped, sitting up. "Larry! Corey! TACO!"

Corey and I gasped. "She's awake!" Corey grinned. Laney looked at us and smiled wide, seeing the goofy grin on Corey. "Your back!"

She saw me and hugged me tightly, I felt tears in my eyes. "I.. Thought I'd lost you..." My voice cracked as I spoke, she smiled and kissed me, making me blush in surprise. Corey blinked, then turned his back to us admiring the wall.

Laney rested her head on my shoulder and I held her tightly.

"I love you..."

I blushed a bit and smiled.

"I love you too."