TWENTY ONE

DON'T COMMENT FOR ME TO UPDATE!

Christmas had gone by quickly and was fairly uneventful. Mariah and her mother exchanged gifts, ate breakfast, watched TV, ate lunch, watched more TV, ate dinner, watched even more TV, and then went to bed.

Mariah had spoken to her friends, thanking them for the gifts they had gotten for her and them doing the same. Cheryl had stopped by to deliver Mariah's present and stayed for dinner. She and Mariah exchanged gifts and talked about random things so that neither of them had to focus on their messy lives.

Mariah was surprised that her father hadn't stopped by or called or anything of the sorts. It seemed like something he would do. She was grateful that he hadn't.

News of the Black Hood being shot dead by Sheriff Keller had quickly spread through the town like wildfire. The citizens of Riverdale could now feel at ease as there was no longer a threat. Mariah was relieved, no longer having to look over her shoulder and be extremely cautious if she ever went out at night. The town of Riverdale was safe once again. Well, safe enough.

After the whole ordeal, Riverdale had gone back to normal. Whatever that even meant anymore.

Now that Christmas was over, everyone was back in school. Mariah had been on a roll, waking up early to do her hair and makeup before school. She had River Vixen practice that morning but she would wear a maroon corduroy dress with a white, long sleeved top underneath. She also packed sheer black tights to wear underneath the dress as well, seeing as it was still a little cold outside, and black platform boots. Her hair was in its new signature style, half up half down.

Practice had flown by, with Cheryl behaving like a dictator per usual. Betty and Veronica weren't there and Mariah wasn't even sure if they were still on the team. Cheryl hadn't said anything regarding their absence so they were either no longer on the team or she just didn't care that they weren't there.

After practice was over, Mariah was in the girl's locker room along with the rest of the team. She was talking to Midge Klump, the darker haired girl telling her all about her Christmas. Mariah listened to her speak as she began changing into her clothes for the school day. None of the other girls were changing, too busy gossiping about who knows what. The locker room of girls quickly became silent as the loudspeaker came on then and Principal Weatherbee's voice came through it.

"Students of Riverdale High, this is your principal speaking. E-mails have been sent to your parents, but effective immediately, Southside High School is shut down." The girls around her began gasping and muttering quietly. Mariah showed no reaction and continued to listen on.

"And its students will be transferred to other schools in the district, including this one." At that, Mariah paled. Uh oh. This was bad. For her at least. That means she might have to confront the people she's been avoiding. And while she had no problem speaking to Sweet Pea or Fangs, she was absolutely terrified to actually have to have a conversation with Toni.

Mariah could barely even hear Principal Weatherbee clearly at this point, the girl's voices getting louder. "...Will address your concerns and theirs. You should be receiving it shortly. I'm sure you have many questions.
But it goes without saying, we are welcoming these students with open minds, hearts and arms."

Midge looked over at Cheryl in concern before walking over to her. "Cheryl?" She said. The redhead stood from the bench and whipped around to face Midge. "Hell no! My home life is a Dickensian nightmare. I won't have school turn into one, too," she said. She grabbed her bag and exited the locker room.