TWENTY TWO

DON'T COMMENT FOR ME TO UPDATE! If you do, even as a joke, I will block you.

Despite Mariah's attempts, she hadn't been able to avoid the Serpents forever. Because not only was Sweet Pea now in her first period, but so was Toni. Mariah had hoped that she wouldn't have class with either of them. But as soon as she entered the classroom, there they were, along with Jughead, sitting in the back of the classroom and chatting amongst themselves.

She froze near the door once she spotted them. She knew she couldn't backtrack and leave nor could she skip class so she took a breath and walked further into the classroom. "Well if it isn't the Northside Princess. We thought you were dead," Sweet Pea said with a chuckle upon spotting her. Mariah forced a smile, "Nope, not dead."

"Nah, she's just been avoiding us," Toni said with an eye roll. Mariah bit her lip underneath Toni's stare. The girl could be intimidating if she wanted to be. "I wasn't avoiding. I was just busy," Mariah lied. "If that were true, why didn't you text any of us back and say that?" Toni was quick to retort. "Ease up, Toni. I'm sure she had her reasons," Jughead tried.

"Doubt it," Toni replied. Mariah cleared her throat uncomfortably and looked over at Jughead who shrugged. "Anyway, a bunch of us are gonna hang out after school if you wanna come," Sweet Pea said in attempts to ease the obvious tension. "I'm sure the princess has better things to do. Since she's always busy. Right, Mariah?" Toni said.

Mariah sighed, "Look, Toni-" She was interrupted by her name being called. The four turned to the sound of the voice to see Cheryl. The redhead gave Mariah a questioning look and the silver haired girl sighed. "I'll uh, see you guys later," Mariah said before turning around and walking to the front of the classroom where her usual seat was.

Cheryl was giving her a look. "Don't start with me, Cheryl. I'm not in the mood," Mariah muttered. "You cannot be seen talking to them, Mariah. Us original Riverdale High goers have to look like a united front. We cannot succumb to the pressures of being nice to drug dealers and gangbangers," Cheryl said.

"Haven't you ever heard the phrase, 'Don't judge a book by its cover'?" Mariah asked and Cheryl rolled her eyes. "I already told you that they're not all bad. Seriously Cheryl, can't you just try to be nice to them? Like you said you would," Mariah said. "I said if you were to get in a relationship with that girl you kissed, I'd try to be cordial," Cheryl corrected.

"Well that girl is in the back of the classroom and now hates my guts so you won't have to worry about doing that," Mariah said. Cheryl turned her head to the back of the classroom before looking back at Mariah. "The girl with the pink hair?" The redhead questioned and Mariah nodded. "Well, if she hated you she wouldn't be making heart eyes at the back of your head while we speak," she said, rolling her eyes.

Mariah reluctantly turned her head to see that Toni was in fact staring at her. The pink haired girl didn't look away when realizing she was caught, their eyes locking in an intense stare. Mariah felt her stomach twist in butterflies and looked away. "God. I do not want to watch you shooting googly eyes at that Serpent girl for the entire class," Cheryl groaned.

"Don't worry, you won't," Mariah muttered.

••••

The girl's bathroom was sort of like a safe haven for Mariah. She had a better chance at avoiding Toni there than in the hallways or in class. She had had her next class with the girl and Sweet Pea as well as Jughead and Fangs. And then she had the class after that with just Fangs who had been annoyed with her for not calling or texting him back but quickly got over it, filling her in on what's been happening in his life.