Carl Comforts His Sister

I rest on my back as my eyes gaze upward, enjoying the bright sunlight that shines amid infinite hues of white. The afternoon sky has always been calming to me, it puts me in my happy place even when the world is falling apart around me.

"y/n!", a voice I recognize as Carl calls from a distance.  I roll my eyes at the sound. I love my brother but sometimes I wish he would just leave me alone. He always tries to 'fix' people when they're broken, he doesn't understand that in some situations it's not worth it.

"They're gone. You can come back home now" he says looking down at me.

I sigh deeply, "I'll be back in a few. I don't feel like getting up" 

The Saviors make me uneasy. I can't stand to even lay eyes on them. I can't believe my dad agreed to give them half of our stuff.

"You scared?" Carl asks me as he bends down to lay beside me. I turn over to my side to see him with a smirk on his face.

"No, those assholes don't scare me! I just would rather not be around them"

Carl laughs and shakes his head, "you don't sound convincing. It's okay to admit it, I won't judge you".

I'm not gonna admit shit to him. Negan is a power hungry narcissist, I should be afraid of him but Carl doesn't have to know that. He'll make fun of me for it. "I don't care if you don't believe me. That's your problem"

"The first day they showed up, you had a weird look on your face. You weren't acting like yourself"

I become more frustrated with his lack of understanding, "because dad is letting these people take over, I don't get why you aren't upset." I say with attitude.

His eyes stay glued to the sky, "I am but he has things under control. He always has a plan". Carl is the type of child that idolize's their parents, I'm the opposite of that.

"Sure," sarcasm pours out of me.

The brother puts his hand over mines, "Listen, I'm not leaving you here. You know it's not safe to be out by yourself"

"I'm fine, Carl. I do this all the time." I brush off his concern.

"Please just come with me, Judith misses you" He pulls at my heartstrings. Our little sister feels almost like a daughter to me, since my mother's death I'm acting as her maternal figure. 

Despite wanting to lay here longer I give in. "Okay, let's get home" I force myself to my feet and we go on our way.