Chapter Seven: Mates

Derek Hale's POV:

I tapped impatiently on the steering wheel, my jaw tight as I considered the implications of the vampire woman sat behind me. It was bad enough that she was a vampire- fast, strong, smart and almost impossible to kill if the need arose- but of course she had to be. Of course. The universe had to laugh in my face- it always did. I could smell her hair every time I inhaled, the delicious scent of roses that made me want to turn around and bury my fingers in it- and then bury my canines into her neck. Mark her as mine. I growled through my teeth. "Derek?" Asked Scott. "You okay?"

"Just peachy." I spat back, keeping my eyes on the road. Not long now, then I could get away from her. I could also smell the attraction piling off of the other boy- Kol, was is? It made me want to rip his throat out. She was mine. "You're obviously not." She said- her voice reminding me of bells. "No one asked you, blood sucker."

"You're lucky I don't take offence to that." She said mildly. My curiosity sparked, and before I could stop myself, I'd blurted out, "Why?"

"Because the only reason you're still alive," Said her male companion, "Is because- well. I don't have a reason. I guess it's just Liz here." She chuckled, while Stiles commented, "You're handcuffed."

"I'm an Original. I was one of the first Vampires ever brought into creation- nothing could stop me if I didn't want it to." Stiles nodded, and turned to her. "And you?"

"I might not have been around for as long as Nikoli," She said, and Kol finished her sentence, "But she's the most dangerous woman you'll ever meet." My hands gripped the steering wheel so hard my knuckles went red. Mine. The primal instinct inside of me screamed. She's mine. All mine. I groaned internally. How does she not scent this? How does no one scent this? The way that I'm feeling, I'm positive that it's pouring off me in waves. "How much longer till we get there?"

"We're here." I replied, parking and getting out of the car as I fast as I could. I breathed in the pure air, mercifully lacking in her scent. Until she too stepped out the car and once again, roses were the only thing I could smell. Scott's phone rang, but I took no notice and rather walked into the loft. I could smell her behind me. "What?" I asked. "What?" She replied. "You're following me."

"I know."

"Why?"

"Because you're my mate." The words were so simple, and yet meant so much. Too much. "You don't want a mate." She observed, tilting her head to the side as she surveyed me. "No." I growled. "I don't." She nodded. "That's good."

"Why?" I asked, once again curious. "Curiosity killed the cat." She said, almost as if she had hear what I was thinking. "I don't want a mate either?"

"Why?"

"Because I've got Nikoli." My instincts roared, and within seconds she was pinned against the wall, my arms on either sides of her head as my mouth growled out the words, "You're mine."  Amusement crossed her beautiful features as she commented, "I thought you didn't want a mate." I was ripped away from her, and in front of me stood Kol, his fangs out and eyes glowing. In response, my own eyes glowed and I growled at him, automatically slipping into a defensive crouch. "Stay away from her." He growled. I controlled myself, and stood up, walking away.

Lizbeth Salvatore's POV:

Nikoli walked back towards me and tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear. "What's that about?" He asked softly. "I don't need you to defend me." I said, and he grinned. "I know."

"Then what was that about?" He frowned. "Liz, why are you acting so strange?"

"I'm not acting strange!"

"I assure you darling, you are." I clenched my teeth and fought against my instincts. "What is it?" He asked slowly. "He's my mate." I groaned, my head falling into my hands. "What?" Nikoli asked, confused. "Who? Derek?" I nodded mutely , sliding down the wall and wrapping my arms around my knees. Nikoli sat next to me. "Wow."

"I know! I didn't think- I didn't think that I'd have a mate, and when we met I figured that if I did then-" I broke myself off and swallowed. Nikoli finished my sentence quietly, "Then it would be me."

"Yeah." I agreed. "I thought you were my mate." He said. "I can feel the pull."

"Maybe it's just attraction." I suggested feebly. "I don't think it is." He replied slowly. "Why?" I inquired. "Because I've felt attraction, and I'll be damned id it felt anything like this." He stopped and then laughed. "Ah. I am damned. Well, then I suppose- I won't be damned if attraction felt like this." I winced and said, "I agree." He sighed and his Adam's apple bobbed before he asked quietly, "Does it feel the same?  With him?"

"As it does when I'm with you?" I asked. He nodded. I shook my head slowly. "It's stronger with him." He nodded. "And so I'm just..." He looked down at his hands. "I guess I'll have a mate. I different one."

"Just because he's my mate doesn't mean that we're going to be together!" I protested. "Liz," He said, "It kinda does."

"Okay. So we've lost all hope?" I asked, dreading the answer. Nikoli shook his head. "Of course not. Of course not. Hope- you can never loose hope, not really."

"You can." I replied. "I suppose you might know- the, uh, ripper gene kind of runs in the family." He nodded, before looking up surprised and said, "You have it?" I nodded. "Yeah. When you're there, Nikoli, the word hope doesn't exist."  He looked at me and asked, "What brought your humanity back?" I bit my lip. "A man called Peter Hale."

Hello my lovely readers!

Getting deeper into the plot... :). And, of course, I don't own any characters from Teen Wolf or the series Teen Wolf. For those of you who don't watch Teen Wolf (One, um- what? Teen Wolf is amazing) then it's a TV show on Netflix. Derek, Peter, Scott, Lydia, Isaac, ect, are all from there. As always, let me know if there are any spelling mistakes and vote and comment! Have an amazing morning/afternoon/evening wherever in the world you are, a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

-cody

Word Count: 1098