sixteen

(Zayn's POV)

I walk up the steps to the flat, my legs; my arms; my body shaking in fear of what Jules is going to say. How am I going to explain my disappearance from last night?

Right when Liam had said he had one bar, the service cut out once again so calling Jules to tell her about my absence was out of the question.

My walking stick is waving in front of me and it hits the front door. I raise my hand to knock and I knew shaking.

I had told Liam to leave me on the corner and that I would find my way back.

Our goodbye consisted of a passionate kiss and a long hug filled with the uncertainty of when we would see each other again.

Liam reluctantly let me go, and now I find myself here; afraid to go into my own flat.

Just as I'm about to knock, the door swings open but there is silence.

"Jules?" I ask a little scared by the silence. There is a strong smell that makes my nose crinkle in disgust. I coun't put my finger on what it was, but I knew it was something different.

"Zayn, you finally made it home. How was your," Jules' voice sounds in front of me and pauses, "homework project," He voice was suspicious and different. I knew she was implying something.

She knows my subconscious was telling me. No she can't know

"I-It was great. Niall and I had a blast. S-sorry about not calling you last night. It's just that time slipped by s-so fast and next thing you know it, i-it was morning," I say, stuttering throughout my sentence.

I hear Jules shift, moving from in front of me. I walk past her and as I do, I can sense what she was feeling.

I understand why she would be a little pissed off about me not coming home last night, but not this mad. It wasn't worry that was she giving off, it was just pure anger. I know that's not what she would be radiating; not the Jules I know. She would have been worried but instead this new Jules was just blatantly mad.

I go upstairs as fast as I could and into my room where I shut my door closed . I make my way over to my bed and flop down onto it, exhausted.

Sleeping in the car was not the most comfortable thing ever but Liam's arms around me helped the sleep be better that it should have.

"I'm coming in Zayn," Jules says and opens the door.

I hear her walk towards me and I could hear her sway a little off balance. She stops in front of me.

"Get up," she demands and I do what she says immediately. I rise from my bed.

"Please explain what you really did last night," Jules says, slurring a little.

I feel her step closer to me, waiting for my answer.

The smell was very strong and my eyes widen in surprise.

How didn't I recognize the smell before? Probably because I rarely ever smell it. And I mean rarely.

She's drunk, which makes me suck in a breath.

She used to be an alcoholic, about five years ago, until she quit, and hasn't had an alcoholic drink since. She told me her story and told me that she would never go back to the dangerous drinks. She explained that whenever a drink was put into her hand, she couldn't stop drinking. And she had said she wasn't a nice or love-y dove-y drunk.

She was a mean and cruel drunk. And that was the drunk that was sitting right in front of me.

I tried, very hard and quickly, to think of a possible story; lie. But nothing came to me. Telling the truth is always the best thing to do right?