twenty two

Two weeks later and Zayn and I are sitting in the office waiting for the okay to enter the medical room. It's come down to this and Zayn is extremely nervous. I can almost feel his nervous breaths and his body trembling beside me.

I take his hand in mine and he turns his head towards mine. He squeezes my hand quickly and exhales a deep breath.

"I'm scared," he says in a small voice.

"I know, but you will be okay," I say reassuringly. I lean over and kiss his lips lightly.

When I pull away, I see Zayn's beautiful hazel eyes sparkling with tears. I feel as if my heart just broke.

"Please," Zayn whisper through his tears, "please promise me that you will love me after all of this."

"Of course I will angel," I murmur and pull Zayn into a hug.

"I'm scared Liam," Zayn says in a hushed and choked whisper into my jacket.

"I know baby." I say and lean my head back to kiss him on the top of his cheek bone near his eye.

Ten minutes later, Zayn is snuggled in my arms. My hands are rested in his and our fingers were loosely intertwined as Zayn played with them absent minded. My head is resting on top of his head, singing softly into the silent room.

A soft knock sounds on the door and then the door swings open.

Niall walks in, a young lad with dyed blond hair and bright blue eyes that were always extremely happy. He had a smile plastered on his face as he looked down at Zayn and I, a bundle of a gown in his hands.

"Getting cozy there, are you?" he says in a thick Irish accent. I chuckle as I helps Zayn heave himself up into a sitting position. He turns so his feet hit the floor heavily.

"Everything is ready, we just need our patient," Niall says. He looks at Zayn with soft kind eyes. He then holds out the set of the hospital gown towards Zayn. Zayn leans over and I get his need. I kiss him quickly. He pulls back with a sheepish smile.

"I'll be back." He says. He holds out his hand, Niall sets the gown in his hand and Zayn takes the gown from Niall's grasp. "Thanks," he says.

He stands up and grabs his walking stick.

"Do you need help Z?" I ask worried as Zayn waves his walking stick in front of him towards the door.

"Yes, please," He replies, in a quiet voice.

I stand up and give a small smile to Niall. I walk past him and I walk out of the room with Zayn holding on to my arm for guidance.

I say short directions and warnings to Zayn as we make our way to the bathroom which was just around the corner from the office we were just in.

We reach the bathroom and once inside I help Zayn undress and dress into the gown, only leaving his boxers on.

I ignore my urge to run my hands along Zayn's smooth stomach, and up to his shoulders and down his arms to his hands where I would grab his hands, interlocking our fingers like I have done countless times. I ignore the urge to pull him into an intimate kiss and to run my hands through his dark brown, almost black hair.

Once Zayn was dressed properly, we make our way back to the office to find Niall sitting on the edge of his desk and looking through his folder.

He stands immediately and with a smile makes his way in front of Zayn and I.

"Are we ready?" he asks in a smooth voice.

Zayn doesn't say anything. All he can manage is a nod and I completely understand.