Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:
Willingly Feel The Pain Of One Thousand Needles
.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

For Anne,
The girl with fire for hair

My sweetest Anne, falling in love with you is like falling into a bed of flowers. It's sweet. It's kind. It's soft.

But alas, the flowers I speak of are in fact roses, and as you know those roses have thorns. Sharp thorns embedding themselves into my heart with each pretty smile you send my way. Those smiles make my heart soar to the highest of highs.. and fall to the lowest of lows.

My dear Anne, you have the power to make my day, to make my heart beat, make it burst with joy. You have the power to break it.. to cause me the worst pain I think I'll ever feel.

My lovely Anne, falling in love with you is like falling into a bed of flowers. It's bitter. It's harsh. It's painful.

But, If I'm being truthful, that pain is so utterly and tragically beautiful. Oddly enough, I wish for that pain as I fall asleep at night.

I crave that pain. I want that pain. I need that pain. I think of you day after day.

Every hour is filled with thoughts of you, like the ticking of the clock in my father's study. Those thoughts can often be painful from the realization I'm alone in these feelings I have for you.

Speaking truthfully yet again, I would willingly feel the pain of walking on one thousand needles every single day, from this one until my death bed, if it means I may get to feel your love for only a mere few minutes.

From Mabel,
The one who longs for the
girl with fire for ha-

"Mabel!" Anne's booming voice rang out through Mabel's room, causing the dark haired girl to let out a scream, quickly holding the paper close to her heart.

"Anne! How many times must I remind you. You can't just.. barge in on me!" Mabel gasped, placing a free hand on her forehead.

"Oh, I'm ever so sorry! I can't seem to stop scaring you." Anne shook her head in disbelief. "Wait, nevermind that,what's that? In your hand?"

"No one! I-I mean, ha, nothing!" Mabel stammer out, her hand gripping the letter for the girl standing there.

Anne furrowed her eyebrows, scanning the girl's nervous face.  She knew Mabel was hiding something.

"Is it a letter? Are you writing a letter? Wait, is it for someone? Who? You said no one-" Anne reached forward, trying to take the letter from Mabel's hands.

Mabel quickly pulled it away, tightening the grip on it. "It's nothing, really!"

"If it was nothing, you'd let me read it." Anne shrugged with a smile, reaching forward again.

"Anne, no." Mabel shook her head, her heartbeat increasing at the thought of Anne finding out. "I'm not joking around."

She certainly wouldn't feel the same way Mabel did. Besides, if Anne's beautiful eyes ever fell upon the written words meant only for Mabel to see, their friendship would certainly be in ruin.

Mabel definitely could not handle the realization of true unrequited love. No, it'd certainly hurt far, far too much to bare.

She wanted to scream. She wanted to scream so loud to the universe. To shout her feelings, her anger, her hurt. To scream until she couldnt scream anymore. Until she was far too weak to even consider standing any longer.

She'd fall to her knees and cry, and cry, and cry. Mabel would cry until she couldn't cry anymore. Until no tears were left.

"Why not? Do you not trust me? D-Do you think I'd tell?" Anne's hand fell as hurt filled her eyes.

"No! No, Anne, it's not that. At all, I j-just.. it's.. personal." Mabel stammered, folding the letter and placing it in her desk drawer, reminding herself to tuck it into another book later.

"Personal?" Anne rose an eyebrow, walking to sit on the edge of Mabel's bed. "How so?"

Mabel stayed silent, her eyes trained on the delicately designed rug. Her mind raced, having zero clue what to say to her. "Uh, I-I.. personal."

"Oh, I see." Anne nodded, "I'm sorry for infringing. Your personal life should be none of my concern. Though, of course, it is. As one of my closest friends, I care deeply about you and your feelings."

Mabel blushed, a smile blessing her features as she looked over to Anne. "You have no idea how much that means to me."

Anne laughed light heartedly as Mabel's eyes scanned the redheaded girl's freckled face. "You know, you are quite exquisite, Anne."

"You think I'm exquisite?" Anne's eyes welled up with tears.

Mabel furrowed her eye brows as she stood and took one stride over to her bed. Seating herself beside Anne, she gently rested her darker hand on Anne's pale one. "Why, yes! I do. You are..  effervescent."

"Effervescent? Exquisite? Why, Mabel! How good you make me feel about myself." Anne cried, allowing her free hand to wipe away the tears that had fallen.

Anne looked down at Mabel's hand which rested upon hers, before training her eyes on Mabel's face.

"Pretty." She muttered, barely audible to herself. Even Anne herself seemed surprised she had said that aloud.

"Sorry?" Mabel tilted her head, her eyebrows furrowing. "I didn't quite hear you."

"O-Oh, I, uh, saud you're pretty." Anne spoke quickly, "Because you are, especially in that beautiful red dress. You should really wear it more often. It is simply scrumptious, and you look ever so exquisite whenever you wear it. I'm positive it drives all the boys mad- After all, red is the color of love, is it not?"

"Uh, I suppose it is." Mabel giggled as Anne's eyes scanned her face.

"Good! So it's settled then? You'll be wearing it more often?" Anne titled her head, her braided hair falling to the side.

"Anything for you, Anne."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

{ Word Count: 1035 }

{ A/n: no one:
mabel: Gilbert??? cant??? like.. him?? no??
mabel, one hour later: I WOULD WILLINGLY FEEL PURE TORTUROUS PAIN FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE IF ONLY ANNE WOULD LOVE ME FOR TWO MINUTES }

{ Edited: No }