09

a white camaro drove into the parking lot of the local supermarket. the bright car parked not too far away from the entrance of the supermarket. a distinct vroom of the engine turned off cut through the air and the driver got out of the car. he was on a mission. to get what? feminine hygiene products. 

zach headed into the supermarket, passing only for a minute to ask the employee standing at the doorway where the tampons and pads where. 

"pads, pads, pads," zach muttered to himself as he walked slowly down the aisle, glancing to his left and right right every two seconds. "pads!" zach stopped in front of a row of pads and tampons. smiling in triumph, zach reached out to grab one when he paused, not knowing which box to grab. putting down his basket, zach frowned and came to a conclusion. "i'll just choose three boxes" he said to himself. 

grabbing differently sized boxes, zach set them down in his basket. standing up from his crouch, zach then frowned at the row of tampons. 

he decided again to choose three different boxes and hope miami would like his gift. zach then grabbed the basket, pausing at the junk food aisle to throw in a couple bags of candy and chips as well before heading to the cashier.

the lady at the cashier smiled at zach, "is this for your girlfriend?" she asked as she scanned a bag of candy. 

"no," zach smiled softly, "it's for my soulmate," fumbling with his wallet, his fingers tried to grab his credit card. 

"your soulmate," the lady smiled as she scanned another bag of candy, "my soulmate — or my husband never thought to do that. i envy your soulmate." tapping a couple buttons on the screen she then said to zach, "that will be $68.79 please. card or cash?"

the lady nodded when she saw zach's credit card in his hand, "you can just tap it." 

just as zach was about to leave, he turned around and smiled at the lady, "have a good day!" 

zach shifted around nervously as he waited for miami to open the door. just as he was about to leave, he heard the sound of feet running. the click of the lock as it was opened and the soft creak of the door made zach turn around.

miami stood at the doorway, clad in a hoodie and pajama bottoms. she stood there, staring at zach. "what are you doing here," she asked, obviously looking very uncomfortable. 

"i brought a peace offering," zach said, grinning at miami while he held up a swaying bag of goods. "you see, i stopped at the local supermarket and bought you pads and tampons. there's also some junk food in there. i'm not sure what you like, but i hope it makes you happy." handing miami the bag, he waited for a response.

blinking at zach a couple times, miami's face then broke out in a smile, "thank you zach," she said. 

"i'm going to go now," zach said awkwardly, pointing at his car which was parked outside the house. turning around, he headed down the sidewalk, but was stopped when miami's voice called out to him.

"you can come in if you want," opening the door wider, she leaned against it.

"aren't your parents home?" zach asked as he turned around.

shrugging her shoulders, miami shook her head, "nope. they're out on their weekly date." smiling when she saw zach head back up the sidewalk to her front door, she stepped moved away from her spot on the door post and let him in. "you can hang your jacket there," she pointed at coat rack just a bit down the hallway, "and you can just put your shoes here." there was a carpet just in front of the door.

after zach had taken off his shoes and jacket, miami called out to him from the bottom of the stairs, "come! i have something to show you!"