14

14 — COMMON FOLK

tainted memories, bitter times.

seungyoun has arranged plans to meet up with eunsang's sister today.

and it would be a lie to say that he excluded himself from worrying, for what may be troubling him is indeed the truth. . . that'll unfold once he catches up with this old friend of his that he does not remember.

he doesn't remember living with the lees, and neither does eunsang. the adults who helped him escape from the grip of his ignorant father now hates him to bits. what are the odds, when he eventually stumbled upon ground zero?

the sister is the key. eunhee, the girl with the past still binding her.

so without telling the other boys just like how he usually does (wooseok and seungwoo are particularly busy with their jobs anyway, not to mention daniel who has a whole company to take care of) he made his way to xigma a little bit late in the afternoon. he was walking towards the cafeteria when suddenly he captures the sight of the girl. he waves. "eunhee-"

he stops when he realizes that there's a figure behind her whom she is talking to, and from her expressions suggest that it isn't a very pleasant conversation. when he steps forward to take a closer look, he by then notices that this figure is indeed familiar to him. it's the reluctant miss lee, their mother.

why is she always here to ruin everything? seungyoun sighs. i don't mind her disliking me, but if she taunts me once again saying that i'm the 'ruthless son of an arrogant business man who fired my husband' i will not hesitate to strangle her.

so rather than having to quarrel with her again, seungyoun decided to wait in a safe place to make sure she doesn't notice his appearance. he hides behind a wall, with his head peeking from the side to look out for possible changes.

"what are you doing?"

a voice tramples him from behind. he swiftly turns around. his eyes widen. "... junho?"

just like how the other boys have described him, this 'entirely brainwashed' junho indefinitely looks ... different. rebellious, as he would describe it. he had his hair slicked back with blonde streaks, his uniform's unbuttoned, and his gaze is sharp enough to get yourself a papercut.

the boy looks at him, enthralled. "hm... you know me. interesting."

and you don't know that i know you? seungyoun couldn't help but feel notoriously glad. the mimicry isn't as smart as he thought, after all.

"and now you're suspiciously watching over lee eunhee, the twelfth grader.." junho skims at the scene, nodding at himself. "aka lee eunsang's sister. a student who just transferred this year, which is the year that you graduated." he looks at him again. "that's strange, you're not supposed to know her."

but then again, the mimicry keeps a lot of important data, just like what the boy had just stated. seungyoun tries his best to ditch the question. "that's none of your business."

"anything related to eunsang is surely part of my business, seungyoun-ssi."junho says with not even a hint of hesitation.

seungyoun scoffs. "that's ridiculous."

"well, what can i say? i may have developed a little crush for him.." he says in a playful tone. "he was actually quite an interesting folk to get to know, i wished i had known him longer.."

"was?" seungyoun now has fully turned to him "he's not dead, you know."

"is he, really?" junho blinks his eyes in revelation. "well, that unfortunate. ah, seungyoun-ssi, i don't want to be the one to break it to you..."