15

15 - THE TRUTH IN YOUR BEHALF

so how am i supposed to explain it all from the beginning?

-

"to be fairly honest with you, i don't think i have anything else to explain anymore. i'm pretty sure you already know everything by now by just simply reading my mind."

eunhee and seungyoun stopped by at a café not far from school, the same café he went to when he met up with daniel. unlike her brother, eunhee is relatively outgoing and more open, but it's probably because to her, it's like talking to an old acquaintance. to seungyoun, she's a whole stranger.

seungyoun shakes his head. "i don't want to just know, i want to remember." he says in disappointment. "it's killing me that i don't even have a single clue of what had happened, not even after everyone gave me all these clues and all. hell, please do explain why your parents always throw a tantrum every time they see my face, especially your mom."

she laughs. "she's just being cautious,"

"does she think that i'll ruin her life the second i lay my eyes on her?"

"in case you don't know, you've done that already in the past, and it has left a lifetime effect for my family," the girl says reluctantly with no interest of offending him.

"what, you guys were salty that i had to stay? y'all had to pay for the extra bedding or somethin'?"
"what affected us so much was when you left," eunhee said in despair. "we didn't know anything, for all we know is that you were involved in a car crash when you were heading home with our dad. you were brought to the hospital, treated by your family, and eventually a few days after, they filed a lawsuit to our dad for 'child kidnapping'." she sighs. "he lost his job.. and his sanity. we were in the verge of poverty, because there were no one to provide for us. we missed you a lot, eunsang and i."

guilt starts to arise from the back of his throat. "why didn't you reach out?"

"please do note that at this point, our parents had restricted us from speaking to you or even about you ever again, completely erasing your short existence in our family. as eunsang was too young to even speak at that time, he eventually forgot about you because... well, time consumed all the memories that we had. out of everyone, it is i who vowed to remember everything."

"and the feeling must've killed you," seungyoun takes a deep breath.

"it was mentally draining, but god knows what'll happen if i ended up searching for you, you don't even remember me." she laughs. "i think 4 year old me rather keep the memories of her childhood pal withoutknowing that the latter has forgotten everything about her."

sometimes sugarcoated lies are better than the bitter truth, to some extent seungyoun assumes that to be somewhat true. "so you've never heard from me ever since?"

"not a single thing," she answers shortly. "you were just like a chapter in my life that should be kept a secret. the miraculous, son of a chaebol with mysterious powers. if i kept myself skeptical, i would think that it's all just a dream."

he nods. "and how did your parentsend up worshipping that guy wherever he goes?"

"hm, what guy-" she turns around to see a blonde man clueless heading towards them.

"cho seungyoun, please do note that i actually attend all my schedules, unlike your unresponsible self, so i may not have that much spare time to be here-" he stops. "uh.. hi."

eunhee smiles. "you know, seungyoun-oppa? though i'm sad that you weren't able to remember me, i'm glad that you've at least remember your bestfriend."