28

28 — A MOTHER'S CONCERN

thank you for being here when i wasn't able to.

"jaemin-ah,"

before leaving the school after the last period, needless to say wooseok had the immediate urge to meet jaemin. because no matter what the circumstances are, jaemin's literally right at the center of the conflict— he has immediate connection with junho, he's the supervisor of the whole debate in which wooseok's boys are participating in, he also has a close relationship with the suspect in question, park jisung. na jaemin is powerless, but he holds the most important thing that the other boys have lost: the enemies's trust.

jaemin turns around, his pink hair charmingly blown by the wind as he did so. "yes, snowflake?"

wooseok coughs, caught off guard. "where did you get that name?"

"i remember daniel-ssi calling you with that name, i couldn't help but follow."

"no one is allowed to call me that, you included." wooseok warns him sharply. "god, why is everyone being so obnoxious lately, that word haunts me everywhere i go."

jaemin laughs. "dude, okay, you sounded like i just called you by your private pet name or something—"

"but it's not!"

"anyway, why did you come to meet me again?" jaemin asks seriously. "anything the matter?"

wooseok lets go a deep breath. "yah, na jaemin, at least be a little careful, will you? you're really in a vulnerable state at the moment."

"define vulnerable."

"you're an x1, yet you're powerless. you're exposed to the enemies, yet you granted their trust. you appear unimportant, yet you very very are at the moment." wooseok mutters. "your life is a ticking bomb, na jaemin. it could be their downfall, but unfortunately, it could also be yours. jaemin-ah, you know i don't want anything bad to happen to you."

"yeah, i know—"

"na jaemin."

"hm?"

"do you know why i chose to be a part of your campaign team back then?"

"... because i asked you to?"

"then why did you think i agreed?"

".. because i'm extremely handsome?"

"invalid answer, valid for narcissists. try answering it with your brain, not your foot."

jaemin scoffs. "because you saw something in me?"

"because i know you're a good person, jaemin-ah." wooseok bites his lips. "and though i'm aware that a part of you still hates me because i forced you to stay away from jeno during your campaign period—"

"that was mentally draining, i almost cried in my sleep everyday," jaemin mumbles to himself.

"you do realize that i did it because i cared for you back then, just as how i care for you now." wooseok gazes at him in adornment. "I did not know about your x1 identity, you didn't even know yourself— but now finding out that you were actually one of us the whole time.. i'm starting to think that our encounter counts as faith."

jaemin looks at him in concern. "yah, why are you suddenly acting all so melancholic? it's kinda surprising you know, you're like a sensitive mom."

"you read through me too well." wooseok laughs. "take care of yourself for me, will you? i also trust you, yohan and hangyul enough to take care of everyone while i'm not here. also.." wooseok glances his surroundings to make sure no one's watching. "about park jisung—"