Chapter 2

Amavii

"Wow..." I dragged as I looked at the architecture of Tijuana from the backseat window. A lot of the scenery reminded me of California, but still had a unique style to it. A style I was still getting used to seeing.

The whole squad was packed in a van and taken across the U.S.-Mexico border earlier today—Me, Rosie, Ese, Stassie, and Perra.

The vans themselves were nice. Well, they were more like Black SUVs. I tried telling Rosie to just rent vans, but she insisted on using the SUVs. Something about "our safety" she mentioned, but I just let it go.

There's been a lot of moments where I would catch her on the phone or having conversations with others where she's so secretive about things. Things I didn't know and probably won't being that she won't tell me.

I always just assumed it was something important and I will continue to do so. Knowing Rosie means knowing that she won't always share things that might bother or frustrate her. So I just try and give her time to tell me herself because it always works.

Throwing away my thoughts, I look outside to see people selling different foods and goods on the streets of Tijuana. I was excited to see people happy and full of life while just going about their daily lives. The music was amazing itself. The sound of the man singing beautiful Spanish was faint in the car, but audible we we passed.

Rosie must've noticed my excitement and tapped on my shoulder, causing me to jump slightly.

"I know right? The feeling I get every time I cross the border to come home is so intense." She said while cuddling up to Ese in the farthest seat in the back of the car.

"I bet. this place is beautiful!" Stassie exclaimed from he seat next to mine.

I honestly was suprised to hear that coming from her. Stassie is cool and everything, but I can tell her rich and spoon fed lifestyle got to her head when growing up.

"Yes, puta! I miss this place...my mamá would always bring me here when I was little and let me tell you the food I had here... " Perra sighed and rolled his eyes. "That shit was smakin!"

I laughed at them and shook my head. Stassie looked over at me and grabbed one of my faux locs.

"I love these on you. Don't get me wrong, I love the braids too, but these look really good on you." She smiled, I simply thanked her and turned my attention back to the beautiful city around me.

"I told her those would look cute!" Rosie yelled. She giggled and snapped her fingers. "my bestfriend is cute, period." I cringed in my seat, my lips shooting up under my nose while my eyes became squinted and laughed.

"She's right, Mami. You look muy caliente!" Perra clapped and snapped his fingers to. The cringe became even worse and all I could do was laugh at them. I honestly love my friends. If no body would hype me up, I'd count on them to do it in a heartbeat.

I sent him a small "thank you" before plugging in my earbuds and blasting some Jhené Aiko. My favorite artist of all time! Her music inspired me to write poetry. I just love her "hood bitch who's gotten her heart broken but will thug that shit out and find inner peace" music. It really shows me how empowered I can be if I ever be in the position to get my heart broken by a man or even a friend, and honestly that's the kind of art is want to make.

Somewhere during me listening to Trivia, I fell asleep against the window. I woke up to the car coming to a haunt and someone shaking my arm. I paused my music and removed my earbuds to see who disturbed my nap. I look up to see an excited Rosie, smiling down at me.