Part Fiftten

PART FIFTEEN

We walk down the dark corridors, and through walls, and past the "She's Quite A Gal!" room I'm certain Alice is in. I'm certain she's watching us, and I nudge my new companion to move faster. They look over at me in puzzlement and I mouth "Alice" at them. They tense and grab my arm and starts pulling me faster across the room.

When we're almost across the room, the voice I've been dreading to hear crackles over the overhead speaker. "Back so soon, (y/n)...? I see you brought a friend... but I don't see my Boris or Henry with you...."

My friend freezes in horror and I can feel the temperature of their shoulder and the room around us drop. I swallow thickly and call "I'm still looking for a way for them to trust me. I-I'll update you later."

"But why are you back down here?" She purrs, and I can practically hear her stroking the mutilated side of her face. "And who's you're cute little friend?"

"No one important. They're just assisting me. They don't matter to you, Susie."

The voice gasps, and the static momentarily goes dead, but comes back on. "H-how do you know that?!" she gasps, and I can hear the tears in her voice. "How do you know my name?! A-answer me!!"

(y/n), stop the pity right now! I swallow my compassion and tell her "When we first met, you said 'Dreams come true, Susie', not to mention I remember your Alice voice from Cheap Seats."

She sighs and I can hear her crying softly "My, no... Alice's first debut... one of the few cartoons I voiced in before Joey replaced me with that...that..." she stops, and her voice shifts "That Allison Pendle... T-that bitch... When I saw her with Sammy in the recording studio... a-a part of me died that day..." she growls softly, then continues "I mean... she was a nice enough, and beautiful as I'll get out, but still! It was MY role! How dare Joey replace me?! But... then he offered me an opportunity... to become the perfect Alice I always wanted to be... BUT HE TRICKED ME!!! I got what I wanted but..." she trails off "I wasn't perfect... SO NOW I NEED TO BE!!!"

A thought crosses my mind as we listen to her sob. What if... "Susie, what if the ink itself is making you 'imperfect'?"

"W-what do you mean?"

"The ink is corrupting you, that's for sure, but do the ink hearts even work?"

"OF COURSE THEY DO!!!" she yells, and I flinch even though she's not even near me.

"No. I mean do they really work? Long term. Sure, they work for what? A few minutes, a few hours at most? I think, if you avoid all ink... even perfect ink hearts, you might become the perfect Alice you want to be. I can see all three sides of you, Susie. I can see You, the true you, Susie Campbell, Alice herself... but also the ink."

"No!! I'M PERFECTLY FINE!! I don't- You know what? ... I'll do it. I'll try to keep her at bay. I'll do it... But if it doesn't work, you need to bring me that Boris and if you don't... well, you don't want to know what I'll do to you."

"Okay. Try to find the real you. I'll be back... soon." I take my comrade's hand, and we walk out of the room.