BOOK 2: Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5

The next day Stuart sat in Nick’s office as they prepared for the meeting with The Council. Stuart knew just two of the nine members: Nick and Doctor Steve Wills. The Doctor was the current Council president and it was under him that most of the radical discriminatory laws towards the humans were introduced.

Nick looked at the screen in front of him and said, “I think everyone’s ready,” and pushed a button on the desk. Eight 3-D holographic life size figures of the Council members appeared in the office.
“Good morning everyone,” said the Doctor, “As we all know that we are meeting today with Stuart Lincoln. The brilliant inventor of Age-Reversal and the Gene Serum. The man who sparked the change, but for personal reasons has not chosen to be an ELF. Welcome Stuart, thank you for being with us today.”

“Happy to be here,” said Stuart.

“I’m sorry about the unfortunate incident involving your son. My sincerest apologies.”

“I’m sorry too,” said Stuart.

“Stuart,” said the Doctor, “everybody on the Council is gravely concerned at the human serum you have created.”

“Before you accuse me of anything, in my defense I want to say that I gave that serum to my son for his sole use. He’s a hybrid, half human. I wanted him to experience being fully human. As you’re fully aware that we humans sometimes make mistakes and wrong choices.”

“I fully understand but unfortunately Peter committed a serious crime. He assaulted another person without reason.”

“He feels deeply embarrassed and is very sorry for his actions.”

“Remorse is a good sign,” said the Doctor. “As you’re aware that crime doesn’t exist in our ELF society and the Council is torn as to what punishment to hand out to Peter. Should we apply human law to him?”

“No,” said Stuart, “I think we should give him a break. He’s seventeen and for all his life he’s been a hybrid. I didn’t take into account that it might be difficult for him to control the never felt before emotions. He was overwhelmed.”

A silence for about half a minute followed as the Council members contemplated what Stuart had just said. 

“May I say something,” requested Nick.

“Please,” said the Doctor.

“I’ve know Peter since he was born and I can safely say he’s a good kid. I agree with Stuart that human emotions are overwhelming and can sometimes lead to mistakes and bad choices. I say we should pardon the kid.”

“Thank you Nick,” said the Doctor, “Punishment for crime is a very primitive yet effective concept. In this day and age that concept is outdated but we are dealing with a primitive being here, a human.”

Stuart’s heart sank a little. 

I hope it’s not jail time, thought Stuart. How will my poor kid survive?

“In this scenario though I think we should make an exception. I’d recommend a pardon and charges to be dropped but if the subject repeats such an offense, punishment shall be guaranteed. I don’t think spending time inside a prison cell is going to change anything. This case should serve as a reference to all possible future cases. So, if something similar ever happens again the offender shall be administered Gene Serum, even if it’s against his or her will. Evolution is the answer after all. Any objections to my recommended verdict.”

No council member spoke.

“Okay then, verdict stands. Thank you all for your time.”

The holographs disappeared.

“Thank you Nick,” said Stuart with a relief.

That was a pleasant surprise, though Stuart.

“You’re welcome,” said Nick, “Now that I have you near the research lab. Come, let me show you what we’ve been working on here at Phoenix.”

They both walked over to the lab and stood in front of what looked like a wetsuit to Stuart.
“A new type of wetsuit?” asked Stuart. “Is that what you’ve been working on all this time?”

“Looks can be deceiving my friend,” said Nick. “This is a Life suit, specifically designed to withstand all environments. It’s basically intelligent clothing. You wear it and you don’t need food or water and you can go anywhere.”

“Suit up for North pole or the Sahara desert?” asked Stuart.

 “More than that,” said Nick. “Space, Moon and eventually Mars.”

“Okay, that makes a little more sense.”

“What do you think? Neat, ain’t it?” asked Nick.

“Honestly, I think it is a little primitive," said Stuart with a smirk. "You should see what I’m working on these days.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
Friends,
Thank you for reading, voting and commenting. I deeply appreciate it and am commited to putting out regular updates. I've finished the outline of BOOK 2 and am happy at the way it has turned out. 
Cheers,

Harneet Bajwa