Draft

"I heard that the Hatake kid was a spy sent here from Kiri."

"Are you kidding, the son of that incompetent fool. No way. He's probably a bastard child from Ame, that filthy backwater country."

"That child is no bastard child, he's a demon."

"Because of him my brother is dead! He deserves to die."

"Because of him, this war started. If it wasn't for the Hatake clan, we would not need to suffer like this. There won't be any problems if we take revenge."

"Yeah! We'll pay that ungrateful son of a bitch back!"

~

 Flickering light danced through the shadows, like warnings. Silently I waited for them to pass by. Every breath, every movement. It hurt it hurt it hurt.

Why?

What did I do?

It hurts so much.

~

The sound of chickens shrieking and of people yelling woke me. Morning light streamed through the cracks in crates and cloth. Sitting up, my head hurt as I recalled the events of the night before.

That's right, it seems they weren't kidding when they said that they would arrange a hunt. It wasn't really a hunt though, they never caught me.

Gingerly, I rubbed the bruises and scratches that littered my body. They hurt but it was bearable, it could have been worse. Thankfully there was a Uchiha officer nearby or I would have not been able to make it out as easily.

The Konoha Military Police Force is composed of a bunch of pompous, stuck up weirdos but they're fair. At least they know right from wrong and aren't blind like the civilians. At least they helped deter the people from going too far.

Standing up stiffly, I stretched. Groaning slightly as several bruises stretched but I felt better. At least nobody found me.

Then kneeling downwards, I started crawling out of the small den that I had found the night before.

Looking around, the bustling morning noises consisted of people setting out their wares and people calling out greetings. The noises were disharmonious but they didn't clash, instead their voices seemed to blend into something nicer.

Something familiar.

Their voices weren't harsh nor were they cruel and scary, they were filled with life and it was nice. This was what I had grown up with, this is also what Tou-san had grown up with.

This village that hates me so, do they still remember the time when we were as familiar to them? When this place felt like a home but not a home? Like family but not family?

It's odd how I was so blind to their lies.

Their lies of family and home. Such a wishful dream, but still, it is one that I want, even if I can never have it and can only watch as others live that dream instead. No matter how much I want that dream, it was never mine to dream.

My dream was never their dream. It is understandable that the two ideologies would clash.

~

Might Dai, the Eternal Genin.