Chapter 10

Harry's POV*

"You're sure about this, Harry? This is very advanced magic. Well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level." Professor Lupin asked me as we stood in his classroom after the day had ended. I nodded

"If Black can fight the Dementors, I need to know how too," I told him and he looked conflicted before nodding.

"Very well. The spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus Charm. Ever hear of it?" I shook my head

"A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the wizard who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield. The Dementor feeds on it instead of him." Lupin explained.

Just then the black trunk next to him began to rattle like something wanted to get out.

"But in order for it to work, you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one. And powerful." I thought for a moment before nodding at him

"Got something? Good. Let it fill you up. Lose yourself in it. Then speak the incantation: Expecto Patronum. Without your wand..." Lupin commanded.

"Expecto Patronum..." I repeated.

"Right then. Shall we?" Professor Lupin asked going over to the trunk. I nodded and readied my wand. Suddenly the huge cloak that I had grown to know was floating in front of me. I raised my wand and said

"Expecto... Patronum..." Nothing happened, the candles near the walls began to flicker and I heard the scream of a woman that I heard the first time I blacked out.

"Expecto... Expecto..." and I blacked out. Shortly after I could hear Professor Lupin waking me up.

"Takes a bite." He hands me a block of chocolate, I took a bite and began to feel normal again.

"That's one nasty Dementor." I shuddered

"Boggart, Harry. The real thing would be much, much worse. Just out of interest, what were you thinking of? What memory did you choose?" Lupin said.

"The first time I rode a broom," I answered. He shook his head

"That's not good enough, Harry. Not nearly."

"There's another. It's not happy exactly. I mean, it is. It's the happiest I've ever felt. But it's... complicated." I began

"Is it strong?" He asked and I nodded.

"Then let's try it" Lupin stood up once again and moved to the box.

"Think, Harry, think --" Lupin chanted as the boggart dementor rose up again.

"Expecto Patronum!" I shouted I could feel the memory fill me up and out of the tip of my wand burst a bright white light that protected me from the dementor.

"Well done." Professor Lupin smiled once he had contained the boggart in the chest once more.

"I think I've had enough. For today. " I sighed as I sat down, feeling my knees wobble.

"So you know, Harry: You'd have given your father a run for his money. And, believe me, that's saying something" Lupin laughed. I smiled

"I was thinking of him. And Mum. Seeing their faces. They're just talking to me. Just... talking. That was the memory I chose. I don't even know if it's real... But it's the best I have." Professor Lupin nods and pats me on the back. We stay sitting for a moment or two longer before I stand up, thank him and leave to find my friends.