EPISODE FOUR

EPISODE FOUR

"When can I go and see your father?"
"Excuse me?" Ni'mah blinked twice.
It's been weeks since the bread recipe episode. Sa'ad helped take the bread to Ahmed and he in turn has been showering her with different gifts almost on weekly basis when the kids go for the arranged weekend class.
"I asked when I can go to ask for your hand in marriage" he reiterated
"Ehmmm! You want to marry me,like really?" She asked so surprised and her tone almost a mockery
"So?"
"Let's see... Do you realize I've 3kids?"
"Obviously so,so? They're wonderful kids at that" he answered impatiently. He just hopes she won't reject him like he's always dreaded.
"Do you even know me? All you know is....."
"All I know is enough to want me to want you as my wife" Ahmed cuts in
Ni'mah had to look towards the kids arena of the park they are at. They're really enjoying themselves all thanks to Ahmed. All these might just have to end right now. She couldn't just bring herself to imagine the resentment on their faces when they get to know that it's to be over. Can't he just listen to voice of reason.
"Mr. Ahmed,listen,let me make this clearer" Ni'Mah responded clearing her throat after few minutes of deep thought
"If I'd a son like you,I'd really wish on him a young,beautiful,calm virgin girl and not a trailer full kind of woman"
"What do you mean by if you'd a son like me?" Ahmed asked impatiently. I wonder why AZ hasn't gotten the information I told him to!
" Ok,if I may ask sir,how old are you?"
"And what has my age gotten to do with this?'
"Just answer and then we can take it from there"
"Fine! I'm 29,so?"
"Have you ever wondered about my age?"
"No,why would I?. Okay fine! I get the gist,so how old are you?"
"Like I said earlier,go find yourself a religiously upright,young girl ....."
"I don't want just any girl! I want you!"
"You really don't know what your are getting into Mister. I've 3kids to raise. If you'd excuse me"
"We sure aren't done with this convo little miss!" He made to grab her hand as she walked past him but his consciousness of not being her mahram stopped him. Subhanallahi!what did I almost do? Can't this woman just for once make things easy!
While he was fuming,Ni'mah got her kids ready and was trying to get a cab home. He made into his car and drove close to them. The kids so ignorant upon seeing him,made for the car giving Ni'mah no choice.
Sakeenah and Masturah were oblivious of the tension in the car but Sa'ad being his observing self could feel it and he really would want to know what it is that has made his usually calm mother this tense.
The drive home was so quiet that if a needle had dropped,the sound would have reverbreated round the car. Ahmed suddenly hit his car stereo to play the Qur'an recitation of Mishawi with the kids reciting along. A habit Ahmed has come to love to calm his nerve when pricked on. Unconsciously he joined the children in the recitation of Juz'Aammah.
Ni'mah listened to Ahmed's masculine voice in comparison with her girls voices mixed with Sa'ad's beautiful one and could only picture bliss but had to dismiss the thought as soon as it came to her. She recited along quietly to make sure her voice is not heard and drifted off into a peaceful rest.
"Ummi,ummi wake up, we're home" Ni'mah was pulled out of her dream Land by the pat of Masturah.
She alighted with the kids.
"Jazaakumullahu khairan sir for today,we really appreciate it".
"We're not done with the convo Ni'mah and please don't push me so hard, else..."
"Else what,see we're so done! That convo is dead and buried. Live the reality mister!" With that,she walked towards her kids retreating selves meanwhile Sa'ad though few feet away was able to pick some words from their conversation. Seeing that his mom has left the scene,he walked towards Ahmed "Sir,I hope all is well?" He asked inquisitively.
"Part of the perfection of one's Deen is leaving....."
"But I know that already,don't you think sir" Sa'ad gently interrupted " whatever has to do with my mom is my personal business too,don't you think?"
"I'm sorry ,I understand". "Sa'ad, do you think you can give your mom's hand in marriage to me?" Ahmed asked thoughtfully
'Oh,so she rejected your proposal. I see. But why'd I if it's against her wish? plus my grand pa,her father is Hale and hearty"
"Where does he live?"
"In the north"
"Where precisely?"
"Abuja"
"But how did you people come to live.here so far away,by the way where's your father?
"In the north too,Kaduna to be precise" Sa'ad answered quietly but Ahmed could sense how tensed he was at the mention of his father.
"Mr. Ahmed,before you marry my mom, that's if you're going to,there are so many things you need to unravel. It's going to be operation  Ni'mah ultimate search"
"And I'm guessing you won't help me,ba?"
"Hunhun,100% correct. I won't. It's your Chase sir"
"I sure would unravel them but can you help me with your mom's age?"
"Hmmm! I'm bad at maths o but she gave birth to me when she was 25years old,that should make her..."
"35years"Ahmed cuts in.
"Na'am. So?"
"So,nothing!" "I need to be on my way"
They both said their tasleem and parted ways.
Driving back home,Ahmed kept thinking why fate would deal him such blow. 6years difference and unknown facts to be unravelled! Why can't all just come so easy. I'd marry her if Allah wills,age or no age though the facts to be unravelled seem scary ready.
Suddenly his phone rang
"Hello buddy,you won't believe what I found out about your niqobi. That woman sure has a story and an interesting one at that!"
"AZ,stay put in your house right this minute, I'll be there in 5mins In Shaa Allah"
He sped down in a rush.