Chapter 16 - The End?

"Hello, auntie," she said. "How lovely to see you."

"Don't," I said. "Don't call me that. You're not her." She cocked her head.

"You seem awfully calm," she remarked.

"I'm going to get Olivienne back for everyone else and see someone I miss," I said. "Why shouldn't I be calm?"

"You can't defeat me unless. . ." she hesitated. The smiled dropped off her face. "You would have to use your life force to do that." She started walking backwards, widening the meter gap between us.

"You can't get away like that," I told her. "As long as you exist, my magic can reach you." She froze, knowing I was right.

"Who is it you miss badly enough to die?" She asked. Trying to keep me talking, I supposed. Might as well humor her.

"How about I tell you a story." A cage formed around her. I didn't want her pulling something fishy while I talked. "Once upon a time, there was a girl. This girl loved fairy tales, and wanted to live in one. She did her daily tasks, imagining fantastical things. Every day she waited for her Prince Charming. And one day, she met someone who could give her those beautiful fantasies she so desired. However, this someone wasn't a Prince. In fact, she was a girl. Well, she loved this girl none the less, and lived out her fanciful desires with this girl.

"But one day, it all shattered into a million pieces, along with my heart." Realisation dawned on her face as she realised I was the Prince Charming of the story. Olivienne regained control as a tear fell down her face.

"Auntie," she began. I continued as if I could not here her, ignoring the tears streaming out of my eyes.

"This girl, she started feeling things her 'Princess Charming' could not fix. Her parents both died. Her Princess had made her immortal, and she began to fear the future. Would her life be like this? Watching people age and die? She had found her soulmate, but sometimes there is no saving someone. She wore long sleeves and became secretive. One solemn day, on the girl's fiftieth birthday, she couldn't hang on anymore. I went into the bathroom," I began to sob. "And she was too far gone. I couldn't save her. That was two hundred years ago, and I haven't loved anyone since.

"It's worth dying to see her again; of course it is! However, who could do that to their family?"

"I'm sorry," she said. "I'm so, so sorry. Please don't die, Auntie, please don't."

"I don't have a choice," I sobbed. "You have the same evil side as me, and I have a way to expel it from you forever. I'm sorry." I threw everything I had at her, dissolving the cage. Olivienne disappeared into herself, and the thing that had control of her screamed at me. I felt it start splitting from her. I poured my life force into it, ignoring the instinct to stop, stop, STOP! I had to save my niece. I split, and I fell down. I saw a bright light, and then a girl sitting in a flower-filled meadow.

I nearly cried. Finally! She turned around. It was her.

"Temperence," I breathed. She hadn't changed in the least since I had last seen her. "It's you." She ran towards me as I ran towards her. We crashed into each other, and fell down kissing into the flowers.

Finally we pulled apart.

"Hello, Aveline," she beamed. "It's been a while."

"Why so formal?" I teased. She rolled her eyes, then solemned up.

"You have a choice. You can stay here, or go back. If-"

"I'm staying here," I interrupted. She smiled.

"Why didn't you let me finish? If you stay here, you'll go onto judgement, and so shall I. If you leave, I'll come with you." Tears of joy rolled down my face.

"Let's go," I said. "I want to leave with you." She embraced me. I closed my eyes as the field faded around us. The ground became squishy, and I was aware of someone crying. But why would they be crying? Everything was finally perfect. I looked up.

I was sitting where I had fallen. Olivienne was sobbing beside me, as were Emmy and Elsie. My brothers were off in the background.

Temperence was to my left, lying down in the mud. No one had noticed her yet. I reached up and hugged Olivienne. She opened her eyes slowly.

"Aveline!" She shouted. "You're alive!" Everyone sprung into action, and I was suddenly surrounded. Everyone was shouting and asking questions. It was a little bit overwhelming. I held up one finger and everyone fell silent. I stood up and walked over to where Temperence lay in the mud. She had opened her eyes and was blinking curiously.

"Temperence?" George asked. "Is that you?" I nodded. "But didn't you die 200 years ago?" I nodded again. George closed his eyes, trying to figure out what had happened.

I pulled her up and into my arms. Her eyes sparkled with the curiosity I had loved so well.

"Where am I?" She asked. I smiled.

"Welcome back," I whispered. "I've missed you so much." I bent my head slightly and kissed her with all the love I could muster.

And we lived the Happily Ever After she had always dreamed of for the rest of time. The End.