The Train

The peacekeepers lead me out to Effie and Haymitch, who are waiting for me. Peeta is already there. I can tell he's been crying and strangely he's not trying to cover it up even though there are probably cameras displaying us to everyone on Panem.

I know what will happen next. We get on a train. A train! This is the worst day of my life so far, but I am still excited at this part. I've never been on a train before.

On the train, Peeta walks over to me.

'Hi' I mutter, not interested.

'Missy...' He says, then sighs. 'I just wanted to say I think that we should train together and all that seeing as we're going to be locked in the arena with each other'.

I don't know why, but I suddenly feel like yelling in his face. So the only reason that he bothers talking to me is because he is planning on killing me and needs to find an advantage point. Great. Oh, and he got my name wrong too.

I manage to keep my temper. 

'Fine' I sigh. Haymitch suddenly appears next to me

'That's it sweetheart, find a good way to kill 'im too!' He says, then starts laughing. That's the last straw for me.

'Shut up!' I yell at them both and storm off into my room. Then I cry and cry and cry. I don't want to die. I hate the capitol for doing this to us. It's not fair. I don't want to kill anyone, or be killed, or talk about killing!

_

I must've fallen asleep because I am suddenly woken up by a loud banging on the door.

I groan loud enough for them to hear and then I fling open the door. 

'What?' I snap and then I realize it's Effie. 

'Supper's ready' She chirps, but is looking at me in disgust. Great. Now she hates me as well.

I sit down at the table and I'm instantly amazed at the food. There are bread rolls, duck, lamb, wine (Juice for me!), potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and loads more.

I notice Peeta starting to stuff his face and glare at him, but I can't help tucking in as well.

'Mmm, this is delicious!' I say through a mouthful of potatoes and carrots.

'Manners dear' Effie says, looking at me like I'm a savage.

I sigh in exasperation, but act more polite for the rest of the meal.

Haymitch walks in when I'm about to eat another portion of duck. 

'Time to talk techniques' He says cheerily and I nearly spit out my food. Is he saying that to just Peeta? Or both of us? Is he drunk? Apparently not. I don't get why he just asked me that. I can't do anything, I've never handled any weapons in my life. I tell Haymitch this and he just shrugs and points to my cutlery knife on the table. I guess I might as well give it a go...

I aim for the middle of the chair opposite me. The knife actually wedges  in the wood and stays there! My mouth is open in shock and I see everyone else's is too. Well, maybe Effie is shocked for a different reason, because I've just splintered the wood in that chair. But still, even Peeta looks impressed. 

'Wow, got skill there!' Haymitch says after a while.

I shrug. It was a fluke after all. Haymitch hands me another knife though. I aim for the same chair and throw the knife. It hits the first knife and then clanks to the floor.

Haymitch stops paying attention after that and I scowl. What's his problem? Hates me just because I wasn't perfect. Or that I was twelve. I watch Peeta after that. He's good, really good. His two knives wedge in the wood on either side of mine.

Suddenly I hear Effie shriek in joy and I rush to the window.

'We're here!' She shrieks.

I have to blink several times to know that the shining, colourful city in front of me is real.