Chapter 26: Initiation Ending

(Y/N) POV

Me and Dan had been walking for a few minutes already. We hadn't really spoken with each other during the time we'd been walking. So, what I was about to say now was going to be the first words we'd heard in a few minutes. It's a bit weird to be honest to realise that. Normally, Dan talks a lot, he talks the most out of us four easily. So I don't really know why he's so silent now. It honestly worries me a bit to be honest.

(Y/N): "Are you okay?"

Dan seemed to be shook out of his thoughts by my words. It was as if he was sleeping, but only half, and someone just dumped a bucket onto his head. No, nothing in it, just the bucket itself. Now I think of it, that must be pretty shit, getting a bucket dumped onto your head.

Dan: "Hm? Oh yeah, I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

(Y/N): "Ah well, you know... I'm going to sound weird now, I know, but it's just you're just so silent now. Normally, out of us four, you talk the most and now you haven't really said anything in a few minutes. So yeah, I was just wondering if you were doing alright."

Dan: "Well, I'm alright yeah. But do you want me to be completely honest with you?"

(Y/N): "Well, preferably yes, so tell me."

Dan: "I'm not sure about this. Any of this. The whole thing of Beacon, the ambiance there, the fact we got invited there randomly so easily... Something just feels off you know. I don't know what they told you and I'm absolutely fine with going here, don't misunderstand me... But I just feel like something's missing in the total picture here and I don't know what. And that doesn't feel right."

Dan's words made me realise there was a kind of truth to everything he seemed to have been thinking about. I had the same really, but it just didn't seem that clear to me at first. And maybe, so I thought, if it's just me, it could be just me being stupid about something. But apparently not.

(Y/N): "Yeah, I get what you mean. I already miss everything we left behind and it's not just that. But I think that if we'll make the best of everything here, it could be pretty cool and good for us. Besides, if everything goes wrong here, we can always just walk away. We didn't sign anything."

I grinned at him and for a short moment, he looked at me surprised. But then eventually, he joined in, seemingly getting exactly what I meant there. And I was right. We had no obligations. We were free to leave if we wanted to.

Dan: "Hehe, you're right indeed there... We got no contract to fulfil here anyway... Let's go show them what we got!"

Dan and me high fived each other and kept on walking, hoping we'd find that place with the relics Ozpin had described and we were supposed to find. I mean, it can't be that hard, maybe only just further away than we originally thought.

Dan: "So eh... Do you think we're partners now?"

(Y/N): "What do you mean?"

Dan: "Well, Syd told me about a conversation he had with some students and they mentioned you don't only work in teams of four, but you also have a partner, someone inside your team. They said it's the first person you make eye contact with during the initiation, if they don't already have a partner of course."

(Y/N): "So by that logic, we'd be partners now?"

Dan: "I'd think so..."

(Y/N): "Well, sounds good to me."

We high fived each other again and resumed walking. But it was barely 10 seconds before we heard some other voices.

???: "Dammit, I lost the cookies!"