Part Fourteen: Vivid Memories

Henry

Six years ago

The left part of my face- mainly my eye throbbed with pain and my bottom lip was slightly swollen but at it was no longer dripping blood. My face felt like it was on fire but the rain that soaked my clothes was making me shiver.

I hurried to the next beam of light emitting from the tall street lamp and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw his house with the lights on. A beam of blue was emitting from the living room window and a reassuring yellow glow was coming from his bedroom.

I touched my face gingerly which felt like tiny spikes jabbing into my cheek. It was kind of funny how much damage a bar stool could do when thrown at someone's head. When I staggered over their garden carelessly and towards the front door I hesitated for a minute. I was aware that his parents were going to ask endless questions. They did the best they could previously when this stuff happened but my dad never gave my a black eye.

I couldn't stand the cold anymore and home wasn't an option so I knocked. There were a few muffled murmurs before the porch lightly blinded my good eye and the door cracked open the slightest. "Hello?" A familiar voice asked. He stuck his head out the door and his eyes widened. "It's just me, Mr Warden. Henry." I replied awkwardly. The door opened wide. "Oh my god." He muttered. He didn't say anything else as he pulled my inside.

Mr Warden was the one with red hair. He wasn't too stocky, more lean but he had a wicked handle-bar mustache. "Liam? Who was it?" Mrs Warren asked, stepping out of the living room and stifling a shocked scream. "Oh my- are you alright!?" She cried as I was forced to sit down by Liam. "Yes. Everything's fine, Marsha." I lied. It wasn't the tiniest bit convincing with my condition. Liam handed me an ice-pack and frowned deeply. I could see the anger in his eyes. "Did your dad do this to you?" He gritted out. I hesitated, pressing the cool surface to my eye. It stung for awhile but then it soothed.

"Those bruises were and enough but this is serious, Henry! He can't keep getting away with this." He went on. Sudden fear took hold of me. If my dad left I wouldn't have anywhere to go! The Wardens could only do so much but housing me permanently? No way. I was too much of a hassle. "I just pissed him off! That's why he acted out! It's my fault. He's been drinking and using less now too." I argued. The disbelief in both their eyes was enough to make me wince.

We all heard someone coming down the stairs and we all turned our heads. "Alan," I sighed happily, forgetting the ice-pack was there  dropping into my lap. His copper hair was ruffled on one side and the other was completely flattened. Those green eyes were filled with shock and prominent anger. He rushed over and took my free hand with his. Liam and Marsha slinked off back into the living room and began whispering while throwing me not-so discreet looks. I quickly grabbed the cold object and brought it back to my face. "What the fuck happened to you?!" He seethed, gently taking the ice-pack from my eye. He looked almost sick. "Was it that abusive fuck? I told you to stay with us!"

"Please stop, Al. I'm okay that's all that matters." I assured him. Silence fell between us, but the storm raged on outside and the conversation between his parents had become louder. We both looked away from eachother. I bet he was replaying today's earlier events.

The fight we had was still fresh in our minds and was partly why my dad got so mad. I had already been pissed off and ignored him when he asked for a beer from the fridge. "I didn't mean to yell at you like that." I whispered. "I shouldn't have yelled either. I had no right to question your relationship with that guy.." he sighed back. I nodded and gave a tight-lipped smile. "I'm sorry." He said, pressing his lips into a fine line. "I'm sorry too."

He brought me into a hug. I used my free arm to wrap around his back and relaxed a little. That moment of comfort and safety was when whatever adrenaline I had left ran out and I let out a muffled sob. I wasn't okay and lying about it wasn't going to make my situation any better.