Chapter 5

*Your POV*

This wasn't pain. Pain was what I felt with the serum. This was so much worse. Nothing  I had ever felt compared to this I cried as I remembered Bucky. I didn't want to think or feel right now. I just wanted to forget. Forget everything. I felt sick. It was my fault. I should have taken the blast, not him. I picked up a photo that he had given me of us and looked at it.

○●○●○●○°•°•°•°•FLASHBACK○●○●○●○°•°•°•°

Me, Steve and Bucky had just come back from a mission. They were laughing at me, because I had said sorry for shooting a soldier twice. It had just slipped out, but Bucky had heard it and told Steve.

Steve got up and left leaving me and Bucky (who was still laughing)

Steve got up and left leaving me and Bucky (who was still laughing). "It wasn't that funny." I said quietly " I thought it was adorable!" He said making me blush. I looked down to disguise it, but it didn't work. "I think it's so cute when you blush, doll." I smiled at him. "Y/N? Can you sing? Please?" I nodded and began to sing. When I finished I noticed that Bucky had been looking in my eyes the whole time. "I have something for you." He whispered in my ear. "Close your eyes." I closed my eyes and felt him put a necklace around my neck. "Now you can look" I opened my eyes and saw it was a locket. Inside was a picture of him and me. Steve had taken it a few days ago. I looked into his blue eyes and closed my eyes as we leaned closer to each other until our lips met.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°flashback ended°•°•°•°•°•°•°

Peggy came in my tent looking worried. "Y/N, you haven't eaten in two days!" "I'm not hungry" I mumbled in an expressionless tone. "By the look in your eyes, you haven't slept either." She observed "I'm not tired." "Y/N, you've been holding that picture for two days! Holding it! Looking at it! It won't bring him back! He's gone and there's nothing you can do!" "Yes there is. The last I can do is take out the last few HYDRA bases. The least I can do is make sure he didn't die in vain. Peg, it's my fault he's dead! My fault! He died to save me!"

"Peggy's POV"

I saw as Y/N was overcome by another wave of tears. I'd never seen her cry. Sure I'd seen her shed a few tears for her adoptive parents, and because of her nightmares, but now she was a sobbing mess. The next few days I was able to get Y/N to take care of herself using the arguments "Bucky wouldn't want you to starve." and "You can't fight HYDRA if you're weak!"

It has been three weeks since Bucky died, and we had taken down 7 bases. Y/N hadn't smiled since then either. She would eat in silence and retreat to her tent. She was cold towards everyone, even her brother and the only thing she was interested in was destroying HYDRA.

+++++time skip+++++

*Steve's POV*

It was one of the last bases. I went over to Y/N, because she looked a little nervous. "It's gonna be okay. Do you know how I know this?" "How?" she asked me "Because I'm with you till the end of the line." I said simply remembering Bucky. She smiled for the first time since Bucky died. "Till the end of the line." She repeated quietly. I looked into her eyes and kissed her. She kissed back until we were interrupted by Peggy, who was smirking. Y/N blushed, but was still smiling. "I'm very happy to see you smiling again, but we have to leave!" Y/N got up and left. I was about to go after her when I was stopped by Peggy. "If you even think about ever hurting her again, I'll make sure you don't have a shield next time I shoot." She let me go and I went after Y/N.

We went to the plane and it took off. Howard had made portable parachutes for us. Y/N had an extra one that Howard had given her. "Please hold my hand." Y/N said. I took her hand, putting the walnut sized objects on our backs, as it automatically latched itself to our suits, before jumping and activating our parachutes.  The soldiers were to meet us down there. They went on foot. If Howard's calculations were correct we would arrive at the same time.

Y/N let go of my hand when we landed  on the roof. "Soon the war will be over." She said smiling. I smiled at her. "When it is, you owe me a dance." She continued. "I can't wait." I said, kissing her before jumping down and starting to fight. Stark's calculations were correct. The soldiers busted their way in and began to fight. We were winning. I saw the rest of the soldiers retreating to a plane ready to leave. I ran towards it with Y/N but it was a trap. I saw the doors beginning to close. I put my shield in the middle of the doors keeping them from closing.

The HYDRA operatives the plane handcuffed one of Y/N's hands to the seat of the plane. They were smart. They knew I would never leave her here, so they didn't even try to remove the shield from the doors. They left, probably to talk to the pilot and Y/N leaned close to me. "I love you, Y/N." I whispered "I love you too, Steve." She whispered back. She turned to me and spoke. "Steve I need you to promise me that whatever happens you will not blame yourself!" "Y/N I'm not going to let anything happen to yo-" she cut me off "Promise me Steve! Please!" I sighed "I promise." She tears came down her cheeks but she smiled. I could feel her stuffing something in my pocket "I'm with you till the end of the line Steve." and with that she latched the tiny parachute on my back and kicked my out of the plane. I didn't want to leave her there, so I held onto the shield, but it came free and I started falling, and my parachute landed, bringing me back to the ground and I made my way back to the camp.

As soon as Peggy saw me she ran to me and asked me about Y/N. I couldn't bring myself to answer her. My face was tear tracked and it hadn't been dry since Y/N sacrificed herself. Peggy continued "Steve, where's Y/N?" She said a bit more urgently this time. I was paralyzed in despair. I couldn't get the words out. "She's gone" I said quietly. This was the first time I had seen her cry. She fell to her knees and cried. "How?" I shook my head. I didn't want to relive it. "Tell me!" She screamed. "HYDRA operatives were entering a plane to escape, and Y/N and I went to stop them, but it was a trap. They handcuffed her to the seat. She made me promise that I wouldn't blame myself if anything happened. Then she put the portable parachute on me and kicked me out of the plane. I tried to hold on but I wasn't able to." Peggy looked like something inside of her had died.

I suddenly remembered the thing that she had put in my pocket. I took it out and it turned out to be a folded piece of paper. I unfolded it and it turned out to be a drawing of me, Y/N, Peggy and Bucky. I kept staring  at it for a while and noticed how happy we looked.

I went to Peggy who had told Howard the news. Howard had just been married and was planning on telling Y/N when she came back. I got my things ready to leave the next day to destroy another HYDRA base.

++++time skip to plane++++

I had gotten in a plane after having fought the HYDRA operatives inside it. The plane  was going very fast, and if I didn't act fast, it would land somewhere habited killing thousands of people. I had to crash it while I was still somewhere deserted. I flew downwards. Towards the frozen lake. I knew I'd be joining Y/N and Bucky soon. I braced myself for the impact.

 I braced myself for the impact

Word count: 1425