Swag

AARIK

"Aarik, there is something I need to tell you

"Aarik, there is something I need to tell you."

"What? What is it, Romeo? You know you can tell me anything. I am here for you."

"Okay. Aarik...my mother didn't kill my father," Romeo said as he looked down at the floor and then slowly back up at me. "I did."

I sighed as I sat up in the bed and looked over at Romeo sleeping. The last thing he and I had talked about was still weighing heavily on my mind. He had revealed his deepest, darkest secret to me. I never in a million years could have imagined that his secret would involve murdering his father in cold blood. I loved him no matter what, but I didn't know if I could handle being an accessory to a capital crime. As I went to get out of the bed, I felt his hand grab me.

"Where are you going," Romeo asked as he groaned. "Aarik?"

I looked back at him. "I'm not going anywhere, babe. Good morning."

He smiled at me, as he sat up in the bed. I looked at his chiseled chest as he inhaled and exhaled.

"I know you wanna talk about last night, Aarik. I can see it all over your face," Romeo said, as I stared at him. "Come here."

I slowly laid back down beside him. He pulled me into his arms and kissed the top of my head.

"I don't want you to talk about anything that you don't to talk about. I mean, I would prefer that you opened it up about it because keeping this secret for all of these years had to have taken a toll on you."

"I mean, it is what it is. I've had to live with the truth all of this time. A few more years won't do anybody any harm. My mother has already confessed to the crime and set it all up to appear as if she had done it."

"But, you know the truth," I said as I sat up to look at him. "Your mother is in that mental institution because she plead guilty by way of being mentally insane. But, she's not insane, nor is she your father's killer. In all honesty, neither are you."

"What the hell are you talking about, Aarik? I am my father's murderer. I shot that sick muthafucka without a moment's hesitation...at least that is what I think I did."

"What do you mean, it is what you think you did?"

Romeo sighed deeply as he looked towards the window.

"Look, can we just give this all a rest? We are here to enjoy each other's company. Hell, last night was the first time that we made love and we are sitting up here talking about this bullshit. My father is dead, I shot him, my mother is paying for the crime; that's it. The case is closed."

"But, the case isn't closed, Romeo. It was just thwarted by your mother trying to protect you."

"So, what would you have me do, Aarik? You want me to go back to North Carolina and confess to a crime that has already been solved?"