Chapter 10

Rick didn't bother me anymore since Marcus scared him. School became a lot more easier and a safe place for me. I was happy to go there every day and forget about all. The company of my friends was really helping me clear my mind. But the weekends and the holidays came, where I would usually stay at home. I didn't want to be around the house too much, and when I was, I simply avoided everyone.

I still wanted to get rid of Marcus. Somewhere deep inside me I was very grateful for the things he did for me, even though that was his job. But we became too close for me to like it. I didn't want to enjoy his presence there, nor to give my father satisfaction for his stupid ideas. Those ideas brought me far from mom; I wanted to be against every single one of them. But how should I get rid of him?

We would usually spend a lot of time together, until I realized my father was watching this. We went from strangers to friends and then to strangers again. He didn't ask me anything about the sudden desire of closure and then the disappearance of that feeling. He was under his job so obviously he wasn't allowed to ask such questions. Although, sometimes I wish he did, I could see the confusion on his face when I distanced myself from him. He even looked a little bit hurt, but maybe that was only in my mind.

I didn't know how I felt for him, if I regarded him as a friend or not, but I knew he had to leave. I spent nights planning on ways to kick him out, but my mind went blank every time. Instead, I would think about the possibility of us staying in touch after he would leave. I don't think there was one; I would get him out of a well-paid job. Somehow, this thought of never seeing or speaking to him again made me back off in my plans.

One night, after another fight with my father, I decided to finally start my plans. He found out about Rick. I don't know why I thought he wouldn't, he had his ways. He told me I was irresponsible for not telling Marcus earlier, he didn't even flinch when I told him the entire story. I was forced to tell him, but he didn't hug me or pity me for what I've been through, he just yelled at me for not telling Marcus.

After the fight I went to my room and cried. I was so angry and confused, I couldn't believe that my own father didn't care about how much I suffered because I was bullied. Then, I heard a knock on my door. I didn't answer but I could hear the door opening and see the shade of a tall man enter, it was Marcus. I smiled through my falling tears and tried to wipe a few.

-You know it is impolite to enter? I didn't let you in.

-Im sorry Miss; I hope you don't get upset over that.

-I will allow it just now. What are you doing here?

He came slowly and sat by my side; he gathered his knees to his chest and embraced them with his arms, imitating my position.

-I thought you may need some company. I hope I didn't bother you.

-No, I wasn't really doing anything.

-Yeah, I can see that.

I laughed and he smiled too, showing satisfaction that he succeeded in making me smile.

-Do you want to talk about it?

-Not really, I should be used to that. My father and I argued a lot since mom died.

-Every time was this bad?

-No, I feel like it gets worse as time passes.

-Me and my father aren't close either.