Chapter 24

-Hi.

(Vivien) Marcus was standing in front of me at the opened door, he sketched a short smile. I defrosted and put on a welcoming smile as well, getting from the way to let him enter.

-Hey.

I said silently while looking at him step inside the house.

-So, you're back.

-Yeah.

-Did your doctor say it was okay?

-Yeah, Jennifer said I can go back to work.

-Jennifer?

-Yes.

-But she's only a nurse.

He stopped and looked at me, staring directly into my eyes.

-Don't you want me here?

-No, that's not-

-Because I can quit if that fiancé of yours is better at protecting you than me.

-This is not what I meant, I don't want you to quit.

I came closer to him, reassuring him by placing my hand on his arm but his cold glare made me take it off.

-Besides that, Oliver doesn't live here.

-Won't take him long.

-Marcus...

-Or better said, it won't take you long to move at his place.

I remained silent, avoiding to look at him.

-Isn't that right? How long until you are going to stretch in his bed?

-Marcus...

-After a good session?

-Marcus! Stop.

-Why?

-Because your words are hurting me.

-Well, your actions hurt me.

He left before I could say another word, I watched him leave before I went to my own room.

I sat on the bed with my head in my hands and let the sorrowful tears fall down my cheeks. I played our meeting in my mind over again, wondering why he was so hard on me. I haven't betrayed him, my father forced me to get engaged.

It was only a few days after I started getting better. I remembered my father's lit face popping up in my room, he sat carefully on the bed and started telling me about his partner's son and how great he was.

-I think you two should meet, get things going.

-What do you mean?

-Well, if everything will go well between you then we can arrange an engagement.

-An engagement?

-Yes, it's about time.

-But I'm only 17. I haven't even finished school yet.

-Sweetie there is no need to, Oliver will take good care of you and our business.

-I want to finish school.

-Give him a chance.

-I won't get engaged!

-Think about it.

-I have nothing to think about. I won't get engaged!

-I said think about it!

He snapped at me, for a second I could see all his anger and frustrations gather up and then leave when he tried to control himself again.