Chapter 25

Three years later they were standing in front of each other once again, gazing into each other's eyes like nothing had happened, like the reality had broken down and they were the only survivors.

Marcus took a step forward to the centre of the maze, where the big fountain was, his eyes not letting Vivien's go for one second. She stepped towards him, her heart beating faster with each step which got her closer to him. Finally, they were facing each other right in front of the fountain, water splashing beside them with little fugitive drops getting on their clothes, arms, faces.

-Hi.

His mouth let go of an easy sound, his eyes concentrating on the blonde beauty standing right in front of him, his mind wondering how could he ever let go of such a treasure like her.

-Hey.

She smiled at the sound of her own fragile, defenceless voice.

-How have you been?

-Good, and you?

-Good.

For a moment, there was silence, the complete absence of any sounds  was ravishing both of them, no one wanted to break it. Their minds completely blank in front of the strong feelings that have settled upon them.

-I'm sorry.

-For what?

-For all these years without you, for disappointing you.

Vivien let her head fall in front, all of her trying to prevent her tears from falling.

-It's too late Marcus, it's too late for us.

-No.

He grabbed her hands into his, making her glance back at him, hope rising in his glassy green eyes.

-It's never too late. Come with me Vivien, let's run together.

-Marcus...

-All these years without you have been nothing but pain, there wasn't one simple moment when I didn't wish I would have done things differently.

-Then why didn't you come sooner?

He didn't have an answer for that, because the truth was that he lied to himself. He chose Jennifer that day, even if his heart belonged with Vivien, and for a long time he made himself think that Jennifer was the answer to his ache.

-Why didn't you come to save me from the hell I was living in?

Vivien's crystalline voice had woken him up again to the present.

-I don't know.

-How can you not know?

-I was lost, I tried to forget about you, I thought it's better. But it never worked, don't tell me I haven't crossed your mind at least once.

-You did, many times.

-We belong together, don't you feel it?

-I do.

She took her hands from him and parted away, a shadow of darkness taking suddenly over her face.

-But I can't forgive you.

-What?

-You left me alone, I needed you and you left without looking back, I can't forgive that Marcus.

-I'm sorry.

-That won't change anything.

-I know.

-We can't be together, not anymore.

-Don't say that.

-It's true.