Chapter 10: I'm Here for You

Dabi's POV
•°•°•°•

I quickly changed into a white T-shirt and black leggings, tossing a blanket over the kid with only his nose and up exposed. I felt horrible for letting Shigaraki get as far as he did. If I had gotten to him minutes later, he could've been gone.

His constant shuffling and groans panged my heart, spreading through my nerves until I couldn't feel any but itself. Shoto had endured far worse than he had just hours before, but what hurt the most was the fact that I left him long ago. When he finds out who I really am, I'll have a lot of explaining to do. He might hate me, shun me, and say hurtful words, but I know that it's my fault he's this way. If only Shoto wasn't Endeavor's masterpiece of a child. Maybe then I could've saved him.

Shoto stirred a bit, making me snap out of thought and glance his way, placing a hand on his matted hair for reassurance. I noted to run a bath for him once he's awake. He'll definitely need one if I want him to stay alive.

His breathing sped, tears sprouting from the corners of his eyes before cascading down his cheeks. It could've been caused by a nightmare or of pain, but either way, I wanted to comfort him and explain that he was safe.

I had recalled our times together, playing with action figures of All Might and Endeavor. His sweet and innocent smile gave off such light, much to the sun's rays. Endeavor had the audacity to ruin such a carefree child, taking out his anger on me then Shoto. The scars still itch of a burning sensation when I think of that bastard and his unholy ways of punishing those who did wrong.

Cremation felt like a gift back then, blue lighting my gray world of only myself, Shoto, Fuyumi, Natsuo, and Mom. Endeavor decided on creating this family, using us as a sole purpose for letting his anger out and keeping his title as a Hero. I knew it was too good to have a parent as a Hero. If Mom never met him, where would we be now? Maybe we would never have existed and she would've become a full-fledged Hero, living a life of luxury without the fear of a husband torturing her and her children.

There were a few times when I watched as Shoto visited Mom at the hospital, myself resisting the urge to not follow and greet her. She along with my siblings were the only ones who cared about me, especially Shoto. He looked up to me like a true Hero, glistening eyes of hope and trust that I wished everyone could see me as. Maybe that was why I saved him.

A hand covered the back of mine, pulling until my palm rested on soft skin. Shoto looked into my eyes, no expression shown. He didn't need to, as his eyes told me all the emotions he's kept hidden away from others. I saw fear, sadness, anger, regret, and vulnerability. Shoto kept the blanket over his mouth, but I knew he was smiling. It was as though he was accepting me as who I really was, perhaps knowing our relations.

He closed his eyes, leaning to the touch of my hand as I stroked his hair with my other hand. The blanket had slipped a bit, exposing the curve of his lips that formed a smile. I hadn't seen that smile for ten years, never ceasing to plaster one on my face as well.

"How're you feelin', kid? Any pain?" His expression faltered but remained as a tight smile. I knew he was still in pain, but knowing Shoto, he would've denied in fear of burdening me. "If you are, don't hide it. I want to help you as much as I can."

Shoto opened his heterochromatic eyes, tears layering his eyes but never falling. I could sense he wanted to speak, but perhaps his throat was still stinging with the injection Shigaraki had given him.

Without asking for my consent, he began to sit up, stifling whimpers or screams as his arms shook. I tried to push him back, but he swatted my hand away and sat the rest of the way up, taking a shaking deep breath before uncovering his buried hands.

Thank you for helping me, he signed, folding his hands on his covered lap. I hadn't realized he knew sign language, making it a lot easier for me to communicate with him, though I didn't know much of sign language. Dabi, isn't it? You're the villain with a Cremation Quirk?

It took me a while to figure out what he was signing, but with a little help from online, I found out what he was interpreting, "Yeah. I was responsible for burning the forest during your trip to camp."

He nodded, scanning me with his eyes before locking gazes with me, How old are you?

His question caught me off-guard. I didn't see as to what my age had to do with anything, "Twenty-four."

His eyes widened, the built-up tears now falling. I didn't understand but embraced him into a gentle hug as he let out years worth of tears into my shoulder, dampening my shirt. He didn't make a single sound, ragged breathing accompanying the silent room. Maybe he figured out who I was, not able to contain his emotions. I didn't know until he spoke.

"T-...Toy-ya..." he called, his voice crackling from the liquid in his throat. I shushed him, burying his head into my chest as I buried mine into his hair, feeling tears of my own fall.

"I'm back, Shoto," I greeted, rubbing his back gently in circles while he cried. Even though he made no sound, I could hear the screams of pain and torment Endeavor had inflicted on him. It made my blood boil for bloodlust. He will pay for what he's done.

Shoto stopped crying, his breathing evening out as he leaned out of my embrace with puffy and red eyes, Why did you save me? Are you going to leave me again? Please don't leave me with Dad again. I don't want to be h—

I placed my hand on his, stopping his signing before giving him a disarming smile, "Calm down, Shoto. I'll never leave you with that bastard again. I saved you because of his abusive ways, and it's about time I make up for all the pain I've caused you by running away." He threw himself into an embrace, clutching the back of my shirt until his knuckles turned white. He was acting like a child again, clinging onto me as he did after training back in the day. I internally seethed as I thought of all the injuries Endeavor has given my little brother.

He will pay his sentence for hurting my baby brother. Let's hope Hell is looking for one more sinner to join their party.