Chapter 8: Tears of the Broken

Nothing made sense. The photo, information, documentation, symptoms! Nothing about the one who took his son was there. Aizawa had first thought Endeavor had somehow taken him, but he's in prison, no additional information to say he's not.

The other suspicion was the League of Villains, but why would they want Todoroki? They've already tried Bakugo, failing miserably as their headquarters were destroyed. What in their right mind would cause them to take another student and risk suffering the same consequences?

Aizawa sighed heavily, setting down the surplus of documents and leaning back on his swivel chair in disbelief.

Why can't the kid get his own break from society? It'll make my job a whole lot easier.

The raven eventually got up, filing his documents into a cabinet before returning back to Midnight's office.

"Any leads?" she asked, leveling a packet of papers on the desk before setting them down. Aizawa shook his head and sat beside her, crossing his arms across his chest.

"They covered their tracks well. The only certain finding police have found were the cracks on the outside of the hospital, leading straight to Todoroki's room window. Police had said the kidnapper had used a sort of weapon or projectile to climb the building, though they aren't certain." Aizawa relaxed his head on the table, feeling the frigid mess of the mahogany wood before a hand began caressing his back.

"We'll find him, Shota. Just relax and—"

"How can I relax?!" Aizawa snapped, slamming his hands on the table. "My son, who was recovering from an attempt at suicide, just got kidnapped by some unknown person or group! I have all right to be in a panic! What if Shinso is targeted? I can't live with myself if either of my children dies because of some shithead taking and torturing them! We don't even know why Todoroki was targeted! It could be the Sports Festival or because he's the original son of the Number Two Hero—nobody will know until we find the culprit." Aizawa took a deep breath, glancing at Midnight. She had her head lowered onto her hands, propped by elbows on the table.

"I understand how upset you are, but mourning over it won't do you any goo—"

"And you don't think I know that? I've tried to be strong. I've tried to ease my son into a new life where he doesn't have to fear every adult from hurting him. I've tried to keep calm when he cuts. The kid can't handle what his father had done to him for fifteen years. How do you think I felt when Shinso went through that same trauma? It took me years to mold him from an insecure child to a confident boy with a heroic Quirk. You think he hasn't attempted to hurt himself? I've seen blood, gashes, bruises from bullying, and overdosage. Todoroki's is just a little different, and I'm willing to help him heal mentally just like I had with Shinso."

Midnight nodded in understanding, fidgeting with her hands before slowly placing one on Aizawa's back and rubbing, "I've never experienced this as you have, but I'm willing to help you get Todoroki back safely. Just ask me to do something and I'll do it."

Aizawa began to cry, warm tears cascading down his cheeks as he sobbed silently. Midnight comforted him, rubbing his back and embracing him while he wept.

It took ten minutes to calm the raven, but once he did, Aizawa headed home, longing for his son back at home. Midnight had volunteered to drive him home since she didn't trust him alone. Aizawa was thankful she was easing him. He had bottled all those feelings for so long and now the dam had broken. The raven felt so much better after releasing his emotions.

After thanking Midnight, Aizawa unlocked his front door and headed inside, seeing Shinso asleep on the couch with Smoke curled in his arms.

The lavender-haired child looked so peaceful, so much at ease that it was nearly impossible to know he had suffered so much. Aizawa was proud he could switch Shinso's life around to the way it should be.

All that was left was Todoroki's life, but that was easier said than done.

***

He was so close. On the verge of dying felt painful, but it was nothing Todoroki hadn't dealt with.

It's strange to think that, as of now, I hesitate to die. I think of what will happen to me once I'm gone, and it scares me.

How come any time I'm about to die, I either hesitate or chicken out? Why am I so scared to die when that's all I've wanted to do?

"Eat, kid. We don't want you to die just yet." Shigaraki sat a plate of rice down next to Todoroki's face, scooting it closer with his foot. When the kid didn't move, Shigaraki sighed and bent down. "If it's too painful to move, tell me and I'll help you so you at least survive until we auction you off."

"F-...Fuck off..." Todoroki hisses, closing his uninjured eye as a wave of nausea hit him. "I-I'd rather d-...die..."

Shigaraki clicked his tongue, standing up with disappointment in his eyes before Dabi came trudging in.

"Still not cooperating, huh?" he cooed, his turquoise eyes glowing in the darkness of the room. "If you keep this up you'll definitely die."

Todoroki tuned him out, ignoring both Dabi and Shigaraki until his head was jerked upwards and something cold pierced the skin of his neck. He felt liquid enter his body as the syringe was pulled out and his head was released.

"There. You'll survive another week or so until our boss figures out what to do with you." Dabi dropped the syringe and crushed it under his boot, rubbing it to the ground as crackles filled the air. "Let's go, Handyman. This place reeks of copper and it's making me wanna vomit."

Shigaraki stayed silent, following Dabi out the door and slamming it shut behind him.

Whatever they had injected into Todoroki felt frigid yet fiery. It was as though the two-tone's veins were pumped with lava and proceeded to eat him from the inside out.

He cried, chained to the hard bed while sporting in his own crimson liquid. His tears even felt hot, dripping onto the stained bedsheets and concrete flooring. His mind didn't want to die yet. Todoroki wanted to do it on his own, not by the hands of villains.

Todoroki used the last bit of his energy to freeze the door shut, knowing it would keep the two villains at bay and let him die in peace.

However, Todoroki didn't expect to be saved by a villain crashing through the locked window.