Chapter 5: Surprise

"Sir? Hello, sir? It's time for you to head home." The nurse had shaken Aizawa's shoulder, waking him and Shinso up. "It's time for his daily check-up, so you two will have to leave."

To his disappointment, Aizawa stood up from his chair and headed out the door with his foster son close behind him. He would kill to stay by his son's side while he went through such horrible things. Shinso felt just as upset about it as Aizawa. All they wanted was to watch over him, no matter if it's the staff's job.

The sky had been covered in a thick blanket of storm clouds below a vast void known as space. Stars dotted the unknown through little holes in the clouds, shining bright.

Shinso hugged his arms while staring at the floor as the two walked to the car, "Dad?"

Aizawa flinched at the sudden call, "Yeah?"

"What will you do about Endeavor? He's the Number Two Hero, so how will you get his ass guilty for child abuse?"

The teacher sighed, "First, no swearing. Second, I had already filed a report with evidence to prove my lawsuit. I had taken photos of Todoroki's injuries and linked them to Endeavor. If all goes well during court, he might be caught guilty and stripped of his Hero title."

Shinso took in the information, "What about his siblings? What will happen to them?"

The two stepped into the car and ignited the engine, driving off onto the road back home before speaking.

"They're old enough to rent their own apartments," Aizawa said, stopping at a stop sign and waiting for cars to pass by. "The only reason they haven't done so already is because of Todoroki. They knew of their father's abuse towards the child but couldn't do anything since Endeavor's title would bounce back their complaints and hit them square in the face, so they tried to nurse him after their father left for work every day."

Shinso stayed quiet, trying to comprehend what his foster father had announced.

He has it worse than me, he thought. His parents had abandoned him because of their shortage of money. They gave Shinso to an orphanage since they couldn't take care of him. That's when Aizawa adopted the child.

Pulling into the driveway, Aizawa shut off the engine and got out of the car, fumbling for his keys while Shinso hung out behind him, fiddling with his thumbs.

Aizawa opened the door and closed it after Shinso before sitting on the couch, "Quickly eat something and then head to bed, Shinso. We'll visit Todoroki tomorrow morning."

Shinso nodded, opening the fridge and scanning the shelves only to find nothing appetizing. He headed straight to bed, scratching the throat of his cat, Smoke, before sleeping peacefully in his bed.

Meanwhile, Aizawa found himself restless while staring at the wall, thinking about what he could have done to avoid this crisis.

That night, Aizawa fell asleep sitting up, his face nuzzled in his scarf.

***

"Get the doctor! We need him stabilized!" the nurse ordered as she tried to give Todoroki some air. He fought the mask and swerved his head, tears spilling from his eyes as he stifled screams. "Dr. Yoshiko!!"

The door swung open as Dr. Yoshiko forced the mask onto the student's mouth and nose, instantly relaxing him as his eyelids drooped until closed.

"Keep him breathing and frequently check his blood pressure," Dr. Yoshiko ordered. One nurse held the mask while another took out Velcro and strapped it around Todoroki's arm, pumping air until it tightened. "I'll be back with other doctors so keep him stable!"

The two nurses nodded, trying their best to keep the child calm and stable. He had a night terror of his father and started screaming. The heart rate monitor had gone up tremendously during this panic attack, nearly up to the two-fifties. It was during his check-up that the attack started, and thankfully, one of the nurses were present to call for immediate help.

"Breathe, breathe, breathe. You're doing great, Shoto. Just take deeps breaths." The nurse holding the mask tried her best to ease the panicked child, who gave in and relaxed his body. "There we go. Your father can't hurt you here. You're safe."

Todoroki felt something within that last phrase. It was like all his energy depleted in seconds, easing his body into a deep sleep.

"Everything will be fine..." was the last thing Todoroki heard that night.

***

Birds chirped their songs, frogs croaked near ponds, and the wind whistled in people's ears. Aizawa woke up from a strained neck, turning it to the side until he heard a pop. The raven-haired male decided to make breakfast for himself and his two kids.

One kid. He forgot Todoroki wasn't here. The memory of that night sent a wave of melancholy through his skin.

I can't help but think it was my fault. Aizawa thought. If I had been there for him, he might not have hurt himself.

The phone had rung. Aizawa quickly answered, listening to the distressed squeaks of Todoroki's sister. She informed him about her brother's panic attack, nearly bringing Aizawa to tears.

He thanked Fuyumi before ending the call, wiping his tear so Shinso doesn't get suspicious.

Shinso woke to the smell of breakfast, stretching his stiff limbs before stroking Smoke on the head and quickly dressing into something dark and brooding: a dark lavender hoodie with black jeans. He then sauntered out of his room, Smoke following, as the fresh scent of breakfast caught his nose.

"Good morning, kiddo," Aizawa greeted, finishing making breakfast before setting the two plates in the dining kotatsu. "Eat up. I'd like to visit Todoroki and see how he's doing before I go to work." Aizawa tried his best to sound like himself and not make Shinso worried.

Shinso nodded and picked up a spoonful of his side dish before mowing it all down. He was just as impatient about visiting his brother as Aizawa was. Even if the mini Aizawa didn't enjoy eating a lot, desperate times called for desperate measures.

He finished within five minutes, licking the plate clean before tossing it into the sink and running back into his room, slamming the door behind him.

Aizawa stared at Shinso's bedroom door, an eyebrow arched at the bizarre behavior.

What on Earth was that about?