CHAPTER EIGHT. all your fault.

( song of the chapter )
blood // water— grandson

" look me in my eyes
tell me everything's not fine. "

"Okay, now this feels like we're sixteen again

"Okay, now this feels like we're sixteen again."

Allison's statement had sent warmth through the Empath from where she was curled up on the couch, her head resting on Malia's arm tiredly. Lydia had emerged from the kitchen of their temporary apartment with some spoons for their ice cream while reruns of Friends played on the television, providing background noise to the four women who were trying to live out their teenage years.

Lydia put the spoons on the coffee table before throwing herself into the armchair and grinning. "I did always host the best sleepovers."

"Remember when we prank called Scott and Stiles and told them Harper was moving back to England and they freaked out?" Allison recalled, unable to stop her laughter.

A laugh fell from Harper's lips as she remembered that night in their junior year. "Oh my gosh, they blew up my phone until I called them back and Stiles was on the verge of tears."

The three girls who had attended the sleepover more than eight years ago all giggled while Malia pouted in a childish fashion, folding her arms across her chest.

"I missed out on so much because I was a coyote," Malia muttered bitterly, "And then Allison was busy being dead so we never got to all have a sleepover."

"Sorry about that," Allison chuckled, "But, yeah, we were definitely robbed of our teen years, Mal."

"We all were," the werecoyote responded, "I don't know about you guys, but whenever I try socialising with anybody outside the pack they look at me like I'm insane. The real world's hard, y'know? They don't get it."

Harper gave her a sympathetic smile, "I get it. It's like... Everybody else has all these crazy stories of high school parties and shit and I'm like... 'yeah, I was almost murdered on, like, thirteen different occasions 'cause all my friends were werewolves.' But obviously I can't tell them that, so it feels like... It kind of feels like..."

Sensing that her friend was struggling to get the correct words out, Lydia finished for her. "It feels like the only people we could ever understand us now is the pack. Even when we're all supposed to be 'in the real world' now."

"We're a pack for a reason," Malia shrugged with a small smile.

"But isn't part of adulthood making new friends?" Harper whispered, her eyes stuck on the blanket wrapped around her legs as all of her friends moved to stare at her. "We're supposed to start falling in love with new people and moving to places we've never been before and having connections with people that have no idea what or who we really are. They don't know anything about me... and I'm supposed to just accept that and... be an adult, I guess."