XXVII

I hadn't realized I had fallen to the ground until my knees hit the cold concrete. Time moved in slow motion - the palpable tension in the room pulsating in waves. There was a brief moment of clarity; a moment of silence and reflection in which every participant introspectively evaluated the circumstance. That moment ended with the interruption of  a pained groan from the center of the room.

I glanced up. I couldn't tell whether it was Harry or Asher who had omitted the sound. Regardless, I knew action had to be taken - and quickly. Blood spilled from both men, pooling onto the concrete floor at a dangerous rate. Asher's face was paling in a way that I had never seen. 

"So that's it?" I bravely asked, my gaze locking with Volkov's. He arched his brow.

"What were you hoping for?" He sneered.

I suddenly had an idea, but I knew I had to act fast if I was going to save Harry and Asher. I shot a quick look to Louis and Niall, who had barely moved since the sound of the gunshot. I hoped that they would telepathically understand my plan. 

After a brief moment, Niall gave me a swift, almost undetectable nod.

Volkov's men reestablished their posts alongside Louis and Niall. They stood behind them threateningly.

The clock was ticking.

"I expected more," I tried to sound as nonchalant as possible as I took small steps, creating small circles as I paced. 

"More?" I could hear Volkov growing angry, impatient. 

I shot a quick glance in the direction of Harry and Asher. I had very little time.

"Yes," I stood up straighter, daring to stare Volkov down. "I expected more from one of the most dangerous men in the city. I mean, was that it?" I scuffed. 

I could feel his stare boring into me, unsure of what exactly I was insinuating. A war waged behind his eyes - was I challenging him, or was it all a trick?

"What exactly are you looking for, Miss Walker?" He spoke quickly, anxiously. "Because if you so desire, I will shoot you in the fucking head." He reached into the holster for his weapon, but at the same moment, Niall and Louis used the element of surprise to their advantage. The two of them, in sync, struck the guards that stood at their side. Any counterattack was pointless; in one fell swoop, Louis and Niall had both men crashing to the ground. 

Both fear and anger bubbled behind Volkov's eyes as Louis and Niall stripped the weapons from his two guards; aiming the guns directly at the men, who still lay motionless on the concrete.

Slowly, I raised my weapon too. 

Volkov chuckled. 

"Very clever," He applauded me. "I underestimated you, I suppose." 

For a brief moment, we had all run out of ideas. There we stood, armed and ready for battle, weapons pointed at one another and ready to play defense. The only question was, who was to shoot first?

"It's over, Volkov." I said shakily. "Lower your weapon. You lose." 

He arched a brow. 

"Oh, my dear," He sneered sinisterly. "If I lose, so do you."

It happened in slow motion. The sound of the gunshot - like a pop. The light that flashed from beyond the weapon - a firework of disaster. I didn't realize I had been hit until my knees buckled from beneath me.

The two additional gunshots sounded far away, as if they had happened in the past. The world around me began spinning as I felt my body go numb. 

Whether it all went black after I passed out or concussed myself on the concrete, I'll never know. 

All I remember is one moment I was there, and in an instant, I was gone.