17-Of Siblings And Decisions

I had to see her. I have resisted that longing the entire day and thought I had contented myself with getting updates regarding the Princess's condition from Sir Eduardo who reported to the Crown Prince.

Prince Nikolai has been busy the whole day with various official functions all over the city and has not had the chance to visit the Princess. As his personal guard, I was with him all that time although I wanted nothing more than to be with Her Highness.

I wanted to talk to her, to explain but I wasn't given that chance. Perhaps it was better this way. Perhaps that pique was exactly what we needed to set things as they should. Or not. I don't know anymore.

She is the Princess of Reidonia. I am a Knight of the Royal Guard. It is my sworn duty to protect the royal family. End of story.

I heard that the King has decided to let the Crown Prince take over some of his meetings so that he can stay with Princess Maiena. That made Prince Nikolai less worried of his sister's well-being and allowed him to focus on the day's tasks while I constantly reminded myself that I should do the same. I tried.

Still when it was time to go back to the palace, I was once again tormented by my desperate need to see her.

The first thing the Crown Prince wanted to do when we got there was to go to his sister. He was as eager, if not more, to see the Princess as I was. Like the King, above everything else, he loved Maiena.

I went upstairs with him but only he went inside her room. The doctors ordered to only have three people inside the Princess's chambers at a time to attend to her. At the moment, the King, the Crown Prince, and the royal physician were in there with her.

With Gali already keeping watch by the Princess's door and myself joining him, we dismissed the foot guards stationed there for an hour.

"How is she?" I asked Gali but he did not answer. He just stood there with his eyes glued on the Princess's door?

"Have you gone in there to see her?" I asked again but he continued to not respond to my questions.

I was used to my brother being serious and quiet all the time but not like that. His silence usually had a warm and welcoming air to it but at the time, it was cold and tensed.

He was clearly upset about Maiena's condition and definitely pissed off at me.

"I didn't mean to..." I sighed. "This... I didn't mean for this to happen to her. I really care about her, Gali."

To that, he finally had a reaction. He turned to me fuming and furiously closed his fingers and his thumb on top of his lips as if representing the closing of my mouth to sign "Shut up!"

 He turned to me fuming and furiously closed his fingers and his thumb on top of his lips as if representing the closing of my mouth to sign "Shut up!"

I did. I have never seen my brother so angry in my life. He was always so kind and gentle. He was almost never angry so I knew better than to cross him when he was fuming mad. Besides, I deserved it.

He continued to sign heatedly, "What happened? What did you do to her?" He glared at me.

"I..." I sighed. "I told her about Natasha. That... That I have a girlfriend."

He signed, "And?"

"And nothing. I couldn't explain further. I did not tell her that Tasha and I hadn't seen each other in a year and that she stopped taking my calls months ago."

"How can you tell the Princess that you have a girlfriend when you're not even sure that you still have a girlfriend?" My brother frowned as he signed his question.

"I don't know, Gali. My mind was still whirring, my emotions were still fucked up and my guilt was killing me after..." I stopped and closed my eyes. My heart ached at the memory of our first and probably last kiss.

My eyes flew open when I felt my brother hit my arm quite violently. He signed, "After what?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled heavily. "After we kissed."

He made the sign for "Shit!" then leaned heavily against the wall.

He looked at me straight in the eyes, I saw that he wasn't as angry anymore

He looked at me straight in the eyes, I saw that he wasn't as angry anymore. He was more like concerned and he was right to be worried.

"How can you let things come to this?"  He signed.

I shook my head as my shoulders dropped. "I don't know. I honestly don't know what has gotten into me."

Gali signed, "Actually..." He stared at me seriously then pointed at me then swayed his hands palms down in front of me. "You do."

I closed my eyes and nodded. "I do. I know." I then looked at my brother. "I also know it's wrong."

"It is," he signed. "You warned me." He mirthlessly smirked.

"I did." I sighed.

"You know what to do, right?" He signed.

"Yes, brother. I should stay away from the Princess."

***

A/N:

Hi, everyone!

Happy Valentine's Day! ❤

I'm sorry that this part isn't so Valentiney though. 😅

I did spoil that things will be better so there's that to look forward to I guess. Hope you stick around 'til then. 🙏

Here's our prompt for today.

See you next chapter. Thank you for reading.

xoxo,
Deng ❤