The Date

"Hi," a voice says. I look up from my feet, wishing I had brought flowers or something, and in front of me stands Avi's absolute polar opposite twin brother, with a quiff and glasses and a clean shaven face. Sure, Avi is good looking, but his twin is better. That shouldn't make sense. I sigh again, this is way too perfect. It's not often people end up going on dates with their crush. Not really.
"Ready to go?" I ask, and he nods. I hold out my arm and he grabs it, leaving the house and shutting the door behind him.
"Where are we going?" He asks the second we get in my car.
"I've made reservations at a restaurant, I can't remember the name, and then I thought we could go to the cinema to see Mockingjay? I mean, I loved the books so I just want-" he interrupts me with an "ugh" sound.
"I hate the Hunger Games. The first two films were shit and the books were better off as kindling. I would rather catch fire than watch catching fire. Plus, a movie date? Lame! I thought we were going bowling?" I blink, a bit taken aback by his outburst, but I swallow it down and smile.
"Sure. Bowling it is, let's get dinner done first!"

We arrive at the restaurant a couple of minutes before our reservation is ready, so we sit at the bar for a while, both with glasses of coke.
"So, Michael. Tell me about yourself?" I ask politely, sipping on my coke.
"I don't know what to say. Uh, I'm Michael, I'm seventeen, I've lived in Arlington with both my parents for my whole life. Uh...me and my brother are pretty close. Well, of course we are twins but we're like best friends. The only reason we went to different schools was because people couldn't tell us apart. Well, until I cut my hair and he grew a beard. Oh well, too late now!"
I stare a little too hard at his face, trying to work out something different between him and Avi.
"So you're identical twins then?" I ask.
"Duh! Can't you tell? Jesus Christ!" I wait for the little chuckle of sarcasm after this comment, or a cheeky wink, but nothing. He was being serious. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this date. A few moments of awkward silence later, the waitress tells us our table is ready, and we sit down, both starving.

Dinner went good, I found out a lot more about him. I knew bits and pieces, but we only really spoke when I went to their house to see Avi. Minus the little incident earlier at the bar, I'm having a really good time! I still can't believe I'm on a date with him. I've dreamed about this moment and I've imagined, with Kirstie, about this moment, but I never thought it would actually happen. And it's almost every bit as perfect as he is.

"I got a strike!" I jump in triumph, pretending I'm excited. Truth be told, I'm actually kind of awesome at bowling, and getting a strike happens a lot. But I pretend I'm excited for one reason only. And it works, because Michael hugs me excitedly and kisses me on the cheek.
"Congratulations! Now it's my turn!" He giggles and grabs a ball. He pulls his arm back, his posture is all wrong!
As he swings his arm forward, the ball slips out of his fingers slightly too early and it goes hurting straight toward the gutter.
"Damn," he says as I laugh at him.
"Not used to handling balls?" I tease, winking.
"No, I'm not an expert unlike you," he retorts, winking back which only makes me laugh harder.
"Okay, shut up now. It's only a fucking game, it's not funny!" He doesn't yell, only raises his voice enough for me to know to be quiet. And I do.

For the rest of the game, every time I score better, he scoffs and rolls his eyes at me. It's the last go in the game, and it's his throw. He throws the ball, but as he lets go, I manage to drop my glass of coke on the floor.
"Shit," I mutter, staring at my hand where the drink used to be.
"What the hell Mitch? You totally did that on purpose! Why the fuck would you do that?" This time he does yell, and this time people start to turn to look.
"I didn't mean to, just clumsy 'ol me!" I laugh it off, trying to get people to stop staring. Only Michael doesn't help.
"No, you just didn't want me to beat you, so you thought dropping your cup would be a great idea to sabotage my last throw. That's so pathetic!" Now, everyone turns to look. I grab my phone, car keys and wallet and walk out quickly, feeling everyone's eyes follow me as I exit the double doors and make my way to my car.
"MITCH? Where are you going?" Michael yells as I reach my car.
"Home. I'm not going to take this, it's only our first date. Oh, and our last. Just, if you were wondering. Y'know, I've wanted this to happen for so long, us going on a date. I had a crush on you becuase I thought you might be a decent guy. I thought i might actually get somewhere with you. But your little stunt in there just proved me completely wrong. So don't expect a phone call, or another date. Because you'll be waiting for nothing. Bye!" I get into my car, leaving him with a dumfounded expression as people in the car park clapped at me. I take some money out of my wallet and throw it out the window.
"Here, get a taxi home. Don't even come near my car,"
And then I drive away.

-------------------------------------------

Naughty Michael! Do we like Michael?

Hope you enjoyed! Thank you. Lot for reading and stuff!

-Georgie