CHAPTER TEN

We talked for four long hours, well I don't consider it long since every hour I was with Luna, I felt like I've only been with her for a minute. I don't want that night to end. Just as when I whispered those words inside my head, secretly praying that she would never get tired of telling her stories, God responded with a yes. Luna asked if she could stay for the night, like the old times.

"I'm sorry that I have to ask you if I could stay for the night, I still have to talk to the landlady tomorrow regarding the room that we used to occupy right next to yours. I'm actually excited to see how my old home looks! and I would want to rent it again while I'm here..."

"Luna, say that one more time and I'll kill you."

"Excuse me?"

"You don't need to ask desperately if you could stay for the night..."

"Oh..."

"You're always welcome, and you know that. Just like the old times."

"Yeah, thanks Chad. That's why I like you so much. You're such a sweet person."

That was not enough. I wanted to tell her also that I'll be more than glad if she would stay with me, not just for the night, bur for as long as she likes. But the thought of Candice as my girlfriend restrained me from doing so. Why am I even thinking about that, I already have Candice. She's very nice and she did not do anything to deserve this. I wouldn't do anything reckless. I wouldn't do anything to hurt her feelings.

"You're such a cute and a sweet friend yourself."

Yes. We can never be more than that, just friends. I should know my limitations and besides, Luna turned me down already 2 years ago, when she said that I should try clinging onto Candice as her boyfriend. This is insane. I was so out of my league, again.

"Thanks Chad..." she replied and yawned few seconds after.

"You know what, I'm pretty tired now.. Is it alright if we like... go to sleep now?"

"Why not. I'll fix the bed for you..."

"Can we sleep together? Just like the old times?"

I feared that she'd asked me that. I was kind of waiting for her to ask that and all this time I haven't thought of the correct answer for that question.

"I'll just take the floor. Take some rest now Luna..." I replied in a low voice.

I fixed the mattress on the floor and laid down. I was gazing at the ceiling, still thinking about what had happened few hours ago. I can't believe it. Luna is finally here. A new Luna, not the old blind crippled girl that I met 2 years ago. But not a single thing about her attitude changed. She's still the same gentle and petite person that I've known.

"Until when are you gonna stay here? When are you going back to England?"

I broke the silence, hoping that Luna's still awake.

"I don't know, but I plan to stay for a little while longer. I am actually thinking of studying at your school..."

"Do you understand what you're saying? You only know basic writing and reading and..."

"And then I'll have to start from scrap, I'll start as a first grader..."

Shocked by what Luna said, I jumped up from where I was lying with my mouth widely open.

"Did I hear you right Luna? You'll start as a first grader?"

"Yes. You did hear me right. Where else could I possibly start, I was blind, remember? And I just know the basics. I mean, I don't know anything aside from reading and writing... I don't know anything about Science... or Math..."

"Oh alright, I understand... But do you really have to do this?"

"Can you hear yourself Chad? If not now, when is the right time then? When I'm more older, like if I already reach my 30s?... I don't think so..."

"But..."

"If you're thinking how am I gonna handle the pressure and the shame, well it's like you're thinking that your friend is a weak and coward person then..."

I was wrong. Luna changed. She became stronger and more persuasive. More determined and she seemed very motivated.

"No, it's just that... oh nothing! Just take some rest now..."

"Thanks Chad, and I'll come with you the day after tomorrow to get registered alright?"

I couldn't possibly react negatively now.

"It will be my pleasure....."

I stared at the moon outside the windowpane. It just kept on shining on me while I was lying on the floor. I felt like Luna has really been ordering the moon around to watch over me. It's pretty silly of me to think that. Here I go with my stupidity again.