CHAPTER TWENTY

It was the day all of the seniors have been waiting for, except for me. Kevin and I decided to talk to each other two days after our silent battle outside the building. He even shared his plans of asking Luna to live with her after Graduation. He said to keep it to myself and not to spoil his surprise for Luna. I just nodded on whatever he was saying regarding Luna. He's so insensitive. But I appreciate that he made up with me, for the sake of our friendship. Black and white balloons are all around the high school grounds and the senior students are already gathered for the commencement ceremony.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is the day all of us, especially our parents, have been waiting for..." the principal started his speech.

We listened to what he had to say, anyway it's already our last day at school. The honor students were awarded afterwards and without noticing, it was already on its final part. We sang our Graduation song and parted ways after. It gave me a sad feeling to see my schoolmates hug and kiss their parents. I remembered my mom and dad. I know they're watching me from above and are very proud of me. There were people taking pictures all around and groups of senior students crying and bidding farewells.

Candice and I waited for the others to meet us outside the gates. Their parents already left and we told them that we're going to have a celebration with our friends in a restaurant that Nick especially reserved for us. Kevin and Nick brought their cars and I didn't bring mine so Candice and I joined Trish inside Nick's car. Candice then told me something that suddenly decided my fate.

"Chad... I know this is too early but... I want you to marry me. Will you marry me... please?" Candice asked with a hopeful look on her eyes.

I was shocked and didn't know what to say. I couldn't even organize my thoughts.

"Why Candice? We're not in a hurry..."

"Well I am!" Nick and Trish kept quiet and listened to what Candice was about to say.

"I'm sick Chad. Really sick... and I am dying." Candice cried and buried her face on both her hands.

I honestly didn't know what to say. I comforted her with my arms around her and laid my head on her shoulder. This is so sudden. Why am I not aware of this?

"Since when is this Candice? Why aren't you telling any of us?" I asked with concern and sounded a bit angry.

"I've been wanting to tell you this, to all of you. That I have an acute leukemia, but I don't want to ruin everyone's happiness! I don't want to get in the way of all the excitement... I just had myself checked up last week, and the results killed me even before I'm due." Candice cried louder. I kept silent. I hugged her tightly and I felt really down. I don't have to think twice. I'll marry her.

"Candice sweety, I'm so... I didn't what to say... I...ugghh..." tears fell from Trish's face. She was stuttering as she tried to utter the right words for comfort. Nick didn't talk as well, he continued driving until we reached the restaurant.

"Please don't tell Kevin and Luna yet. I don't want them to feel sorry for me, especially Luna... I know she'll be sad..." Candice added as I wiped the tears on her face. We nodded.

We went down the car and saw Kevin and Luna waiting inside. We went in and kept our mouths shut from what Candice revealed awhile back. I just kept silent all the time. We tried to look happy all throughout the night. After dinner, we went home.

Everything happened so fast, Candice was already preparing for our engagement party. She looked weaker though, having pale skin and bandana wrapped around her hair. She said her hair is starting to fall out. I somehow pitied her, but I also feel a little love for Candice. But not as strong as my love for Luna. I'll be married to Candice already so I should learn to love her more and try to forget Luna. Kevin is already with her so there's no room for my love anymore, besides she already turned me down twice. I'm so pathetic. All because of Luna. She did changed me so much and I've been so miserable since she started going out with Kevin. But I was truly in love, that is why it is so hard for me to let go. Not to mention that she is my first love.

The engagement party has already been well planned out and invitations flew everywhere. Candice's parents won't make it since they can't flew in from Spain due to business matters and Candice was really disappointed. But she never got angry with them. She is truly a very understanding daughter.

"Too bad then... oh alright I understand... you take care ok? later." Candice cut off the phone call.

Visitors were gathered around their respective tables and I can already see Nick and Trish on the VIP table. No sign of Luna and Kevin.

"Who was it?" I asked and stood up from my seat situated on the platform in front the dining hall.

"It was Kevin, he said he can't come. He sounded gloomy and... oh I don't know. But I don't want to think about it now. How about we prepare for the announcement now honey?" Candice changed the topic and dragged me from my seat to the microphone in front.

"But what about Luna?" I asked.

"Oh! She'll probably be late or something...let's go now!"

Candice and I stood in front of everyone, with a microphone on each of our hand. My hands are sweating and trembling and I felt like I'm going to faint anytime. Honestly, I wasn't ready for all of this. But as I looked upon a thin pale woman standing right next to me, wearing a long white dress with diamonds all over it and a red bandanna on her head, I tighten my grip on the microphone. I can't turn back now. I have to face this, for the sake of Candice.

"Good evening friends... I am so thankful that the most important persons in my life are here to witness one of the most important events in my life, my engagement party." Candice started talking while I stood beside her, still a bit shaky.

It was a full moon. I can't really explain why I feel so nervous a minute after Candice started her speech. I felt my heart aching inside, I really don't know why. Just as few seconds rushed by, I felt my heart quenching more, harder and more painful. Am I having a heart attack? I don't feel any physical pain, it's more like an emotional pain, a really hurtful feeling. My hands are sweating and shaking again and I really want an explanation for what's happening. Am I mutating or something? Suddenly, I dropped the microphone. My hands and knees felt weaker by the second and so the microphone just slipped from my hands. my heart felt like it's burning and bleeding and the crowd started to stare on me. Then, saved by the bell, one of the guards came in to interrupt the show.

"I'm sorry Ms. Levi..." the startled guard shouted from the entrance door and his voice echoed across the hall. "...but there's a lady outside who got hit by a truck and... and me and the rest of the guards thought.. well we thought that she's one of the visitors because we've seen her before, with... with Mr. Heatherfield...we would just like to verify, can you come with me, please?..." the frightened guard struggled to finish his sentence.

I ran towards the door with tears already forming in my eyes. It can't be, God tell me this isn't happening. Candice and the rest ran after me. This is not possible. It can't be. My heart jumped, it beat faster and faster. Just as I went out of the door, I saw a commotion going on and people are panicking, running towards the street where a wavy-haired girl was laying down, dead. Her face was all covered with plastic so I couldn't see it. Without thinking twice, I ran towards the girl and removed the plastic from her face. I froze and tears started rolling down my face.