CHAPTER FIFTEEN

I clasped my right hand. I couldn't believe what I've heard, Luna did agree. I tried to control myself, I didn't want Candice to suspect.

The six of us huddled in front of the campfire, like boy scouts sharing myths and legends they brought out of their sleeves. I sat beside my girlfriend. Luna is with Trish on the other side while Kevin and Nick sat near the tent.

"Before this night end, I want to greet my cool friend here Nick for the last time. Happy birthday my rich and rocking friend!" Kevin shouted as he raised a toast for Nick.

"Cheers!" Trish raised her glass of wine after Kevin.

We drank a lot of wine except for Luna. She's not a kill joy or anything, it's just that her stomach is not used to alcohols. She tried to take a sip and vomit few seconds after. I told her to stop. I poured her mango juice on a glass to relieve her aching stomach and forget the after taste. She smiled thanked me after, but no words came out of my mouth as a response. I just smiled a little.

Nick opened all of our presents for him. He almost cried in too much happiness.

"Now, how about we get wet and wild!" Trish shouted like a crazy woman, obviously drunk and mad because of the wine.

"What are you saying Trish, stop that! Look at yourself..." Luna tried to control her as her arms kept on swinging in front of her face, holding two bottles of wine.

"She's like that, just don't mind her Luna..." Candice told Luna in an assuring tone.

"How about we play... truth or dare?" Nick suggested out of nowhere.

"Yeah yeah... I like that." Kevin answered.

Candice looked at me, waiting for me to respond on Nick's suggestion. I wasn't really in the mood, but I tried to appear excited, just so Candice wouldn't suspect.

"So what are you waiting for? Let's do it now!" I answered in an excited manner.

"Boring..." Trish butted in and spoke in a lousy manner.

The questions are getting harder and harder. Not that it's related to any subjects, it was because it's getting more and more personal... and intimate. And then suddenly, it was already my turn.

"How far did you go?" Trish asked in a teasing voice.

I didn't respond. We never went beyond kissing. Just kissing. If I respond honestly, I know that they'd think I was just kidding. And I didn't want Luna to think that we really did it. Just as when I was trying to look for the answers in my head, Candice barged in.

"As far as how you think couples should go."

I was shocked. I didn't expect that Candice would say something like that. Why would she lie? But I didn't react. I didn't want Candice to think that I was denying her or something. But Luna, I saw Luna's reaction. She seemed shocked but then her expression changed a little while after. I wanted to take a stand, I wanted to say that it was a lie. But I couldn't, and I wouldn't. I didn't want to embarrass Candice in front of them.

"Ooooohhh..." Kevin reacted in a girly tone with his hands covering his mouth.

I was just silent, I gave Kevin a smirk. They spun the wine bottle and it pointed to Kevin.

"Now dude, how do you feel about Luna? Honestly man..." Nick asked abruptly and sounded really drunk.

"I love her. I mean..." Kevin faced Luna. "I love you... Luna."

No he didn't. Did he really just say that he loves Luna? I couldn't take it anymore. I was at my weakest state. My body felt numb and my hands were trembling. I felt like the whole world fell on me. I stood up and gave Kevin a cold stare. They all looked at me. Kevin stared back with a confused look on his face. I breathed deeply and uttered the words I didn't expect would come out of my mouth.

"I have always loved Luna too, like a sister. So Kevin, please take care of her. Please don't break my trust." I exclaimed in a very low voice. I was stuttering. I wasn't supposed to say anything else aside from that, or else I would break Candice's heart. And she didn't deserve any pain. I wasn't in the right position to hurt her. I knew I just did the right thing.

"So Luna what now? Are you gonna turn him down?" Candice asked Luna like, excited to wait for her response.

"Well, I don't see any reason why I would. Besides, I like Kevin a lot and..."

"Well, it's official then! You're a couple now! Isn't that great Chad?" Candice jumped out of joy and turned to me to get my support.

"Yes. That's great Luna. I'm happy... for you both." I replied and I sounded lifeless.

We continued celebrating throughout the night. They played trance music all night long, keeping the sea creatures awake all night. Trish and Nick were dancing like crazy people and would laugh at nothing in particular. Kevin and Candice were talking about business matters, while Luna and I was left alone doing nothing.

I invited Luna for a walk on the shore. It was already an hour past midnight and the full moon was still shining so bright, silently watching us while we walked and left footprints on the sand. Luna was just staring on the moon.

"The moon is very beautiful tonight..." Luna finally broke the silence.

"Yes. Just like you." I said in a sweet voice.

We continued walking. The pain hiding inside my heart was healed for quite a while. I just savored the moment and didn't ruin it with asking anything about Kevin. I just want to feel good even for just a minute. I wanted to hold her hand but I was afraid Candice might see us, and so I just kept it inside my pocket.

The sun is already up and everybody is ready to go home. It was just a one-day visit to the beach but I felt like I've been there for a week. It was a long night for me and I didn't want to think about it anymore.